Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 08-10-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6226681)
Is there a thread here for Toy Sewing Machines? I thought that I saw one once but can't find it. Can anyone help?
~G~

there used to be one...

miriam 08-10-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6227050)
there used to be one...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t225552.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t221581.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t214586.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t170590.html
I think there are more

nanna-up-north 08-10-2013 04:27 PM

Well, I'm back from the auction and I bought the singer model 15 (I posted the auctioneers photo on pg 4223, post # 42224). It moves just fine and the machine is in pretty good shape. It is missing the electric cord...... foot controller is there, wired direct, but no 3-prong cord to plug from the machine to the outlet. And somewhere between there and home, I've lost the spool pin. I don't think it will be hard to find a spool pin but most cords are connected to the foot pedal so what do I look for when I don't need the pedal?? Could I plug in my 221 cord to try it out??? or would that damage my 221 cord?

I looked up the cabinet .... I think it's kind of unusual..... and everything is there.... an ink bottle and pencil tray in the left upper drawer and a spool holder in one of the right side drawers. And there was some stuff..... no attachments but needles, thread, buttons (there's always buttons) and of course 3-in-1 oil (ARggh!!) So, remind me again, what's the best way to get all the 3-in-1 oil off before I oil everything and try to get it running. Oh, I almost forgot, there is part of a model 15 manual .... starts at page 7 and there's a model 66-18 manual but I didn't see that machine anywhere.

Miriam, I thought I remembered you saying that the 15 threads through the needle from left to right and the hand wheel is turned away from you but the manual says right to left.... and you turn the hand wheel toward you. Is this correct??? I'm hoping this manual is the one for this machine..... the pictures look correct.

So, I'll have to find the cord and get a spool pin before I can report anything more about it..... and someone, please let me know about the 3-in-1 oil. I can't remember how to remove it. And almost forgot serial# AG3770020, birthed on March 3, 1942.... pretty filigree face plate.

miriam 08-10-2013 05:01 PM

Your FW cord should work - try it. Spool pins can be had at sew-classic - a chop stick will stick in the hole... Thread the needle opposite of the FW. Balance wheel is normal. I have a couple of those ink well cabinets, too. Very nice aren't they. The 3 in 1 oil may need a solvent to get it gone. Take care of the paint before you go wild with solvent - actually a little goes a long ways. Joe uses gun cleaner.
Today I got the Singer 15 machine Wilbur and I were working on moving. Too bad he wasn't here. I kind of wish it would stick back up. I bought that machine for parts. It looks like it will work just fine so won't be a parts machine. I worked over that Singer 99 Lovie got moving. It is such a nice little machine I wanted to hug it, too. I had 3 machines in the old bent wood cases and dug into them, too. One was a 99 with really bad decals and melted wires - I left it full of lint for Lovie to clean next time she is over but I took the tension off and cleaned it and put it back on. Another 99 but better shape - cleaned up nice. And a 128 with great decals - it cleaned up real nice - looks like the motor has already been rewired. It seemed to be a well kept but used machine. I like that. I also got that redeye in working order. So far I had it punching paper. Next time the kids come they can sew something. I love those old tensions - they are so easy to clean and adjust.

My sister's MIL's sister gave my sister an old sewing book. It had instructions how to do some really cool free motion type embroidery on a Singer 15. It showed no foot - just a needle and a hoop. The instructions told different ways to tighten or loosen the tension and what thread to use. There were several pages of different things that could be done that way. I was drooling over that book. I hope she leaves it to me when she dies. If she does & I know about it, she might just have an untimely death... :D:D:D:D:D

nanna-up-north 08-10-2013 06:18 PM

Oh, you are bad, Miriam. Try to find the name of the book. I don't have many old sewing books but I go to a lot of book sales. ... DH reads 2-3 books a week. You never know what I'll find. That would be a fun book to have.

You are so much more productive than I am at cleaning up machines..... I don't have near as many as you, either. I do love trying to clean them up but need lots of help understanding what to do sometimes. Do you take the tension apart completely before you clean them?? and then put them back together??

I've already looked on sew-classic for the cord. It says it fits the 15-91 and some other 15-?? machine. It think it will fit the simple 15 as well.... maybe I can call them to make sure before I order and then find out it won't fit. I'll look in the back of the truck to see if the spool pin just fell out. It's pretty little, could have fallen through the spaces. But sew-classic has them for 59 cents..... not a problem.

The cabinet has some of the veneer loose and I'll have to decide if I want to remove/replace it, or just glue it back on. It looks like it sat in that basement too long..... man was that a job getting it out of that basement. It was heavy. DH said he's never helped me move a machine that heavy.... I told him , it's heavy duty, doesn't move around a lot..... he said, I'm sure it doesn't. ha ha. I got the stool, too. I had fun today.

BoJangles 08-10-2013 07:15 PM

Hello, everyone! I've been off horse camping!

Charlee congratulations on the new granddaughter and new kitty!

Dan, Love the WW8! I still want one of those!

Miriam, what cute grandkids you have. It sounds like you really have a good time with the kids. We have a bundle of GK's too. One of them is now 18 and my riding/camping/sewing partner! I bought her a Pfaff 1222 last summer cause she wanted a machine that was going to last!

Jean congratulations on the new Singer 15!

Nancy

nanna-up-north 08-10-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks, Nancy. I hope you had a great time camping..... missed you on the board.

miriam 08-10-2013 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6227345)
Oh, you are bad, Miriam. Try to find the name of the book. I don't have many old sewing books but I go to a lot of book sales. ... DH reads 2-3 books a week. You never know what I'll find. That would be a fun book to have.

You are so much more productive than I am at cleaning up machines..... I don't have near as many as you, either. I do love trying to clean them up but need lots of help understanding what to do sometimes. Do you take the tension apart completely before you clean them?? and then put them back together??

I've already looked on sew-classic for the cord. It says it fits the 15-91 and some other 15-?? machine. It think it will fit the simple 15 as well.... maybe I can call them to make sure before I order and then find out it won't fit. I'll look in the back of the truck to see if the spool pin just fell out. It's pretty little, could have fallen through the spaces. But sew-classic has them for 59 cents..... not a problem.

The cabinet has some of the veneer loose and I'll have to decide if I want to remove/replace it, or just glue it back on. It looks like it sat in that basement too long..... man was that a job getting it out of that basement. It was heavy. DH said he's never helped me move a machine that heavy.... I told him , it's heavy duty, doesn't move around a lot..... he said, I'm sure it doesn't. ha ha. I got the stool, too. I had fun today.

I'm going to have to get the name of that book but I'll only pm you. We don't want too much competition trying to find one of our own... LOL

I clean as I go. I usually start by cleaning out the lint. If there is too much lint I save that for Lovie. She likes to clean out the lint. It is good for her to learn to clean it out. She does a fairly good job for a 6 year old. Isn't she cute? As I clean the lint I remove the bobbin case, shuttle, clean and then put that all back together. BUT I don't give that option to Lovie except for the Singer 15 or a clone. If the tension is in the shuttle, I adjust it at that time. Then I go on and clean the body of the machine. As I go, I remove the tension, take it all apart, clean it and put it back together. Those old 99s and 66s are so easy. I wish they were all that easy. The 15s were hard for me to learn but easy to work on because you can just pull them off the machine. I pull off the hand wheel, clean it up and put it back - I also test as I go. As I go I remove what ever I need to pull off and clean and put back. I don't pull everything off the machine at one time. I'm way to ADHD - things would never go back if I pulled it all off at once. I don't remove much of anything with Wilbur and Lovie. I just give them a few Qtips, rags, flash light, big screw driver, brushes and oil. They know what to do with that - the big screwdriver is for looks. He can't unto anything small with that and most things are small. That said, with that frozen up Singer 15 DH and Wilbur pulled the motor thinking that might be what was frozen. I was only giving Wilbur some old sewing machine oil since he is a wild man with oil. Yesterday I went back and used T-F after a few minutes of sludgy moving the machine rocked out of being frozen. I T-F it then I rocked the hand wheel gently back and forth until it moved - I wanted to get it a little bit unfrozen and then let Wilbur get it moving but all of a sudden it kicked and is turning freely. He understood time out.

Glenn is your man for veneer - and I have some for him to look at when he gets here - actually LOTS of it. He is going to have to stay a long time. Did you take the machine head out of the cabinet to transport? People are sssssssssssooooooooooo amazed when we do that. I haul around a screwdriver that just fits those set screws. I have a few of those desk cabinets, too - nice aren't they? I haven't tried to use one set up yet. I keep waiting until we move and it's been a year... I have a Singer 201 black chrome to go in my desk like that. She's a beauty and Glenn re-wired her last time he was here. I need to do a bit more clean up. Another one homes a Singer 301 - that one has a door that swings open and there are drawers behind. It is very pretty. I did not get lucky and get the benches though. I have another that is a knock off of those - I think it has an old Kenmore or MW godzella machine for it. the veneer is a bit loose on it. I have some other very nice cabinets and machines. I can't remember what - they all need to go away. Once I get them fixed I'm ready to do another one. I guess I'm not into keeping them. Well, except for a couple.

As far as your cord goes. If the light and foot control are on that same cord you can use the FW cord and foot control. The one you ordered should fit the FW, too. If it has another cord for the foot you will need a different cord.

frudemoo 08-11-2013 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6226019)
Amelia, Does it look like this?

Yes, that's it exactly Grant! Thanks for the pics :)

I think I need to see how that large spring on the left makes contact with the metal... I was fiddling with that and noticing small differences in the movement. I think perhaps the little right-angle on the end of the spring is meant to sit somewhere specific? I can't quite see in your picture.
I also can't see any reason why the button would not be working, but there are so many little washers and things on the underside I can't work out what any of them do.

frudemoo 08-11-2013 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6225746)
If you have Tri-Flow oiled it, turned the machine every what way & given time out each turn, you may have to use heat on that little barrel, Amelia.

I don't have any tri-flow Miriam - it's actually not that easy to get in Australia. I have a friend who's into bikes who's getting me some. But I've been using isopropyl alcohol to de-gunge - and then, where necessary, WD-40, which I've then flushed away with more alcohol, before using clean sewing machine oil from my LSMG. The machine's been on most angles while I've been working on it, and I've had a hairdryer on it trying to get things moving. I guess I just don't understand how the mechanism works... like, what's in the barrel?? :P