Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

blueheavenfla 10-10-2012 05:38 PM

OH, I am absolutely green with envy. In spite of just getting the Graybar, I would sure make those 15 mile to that Two Spool in record time. I would love a machine that I didn't have to change bobbins every few minutes.

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH (Post 5576737)
Herself isn't that hot on the National - the cabinet is kind of chunky and clunky looking. She's also not that hot on me getting the Davis but that's still open to discussion - if I really want it I'll go ahead and get it (better pictures to come from the seller.) It's cheaper, but quite a bit further away - the Two Spools is only about 15 miles away.

nurseknitsLaura 10-10-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 5576834)
OH, I am absolutely green with envy. In spite of just getting the Graybar, I would sure make those 15 mile to that Two Spool in record time. I would love a machine that I didn't have to change bobbins every few minutes.

Me, too! A 2 spool would be too good to pass up. One of those technological innovations that I would be fascinated with. (But I'm easily amused!) I keep thinking I will get the sewing room all spiffed up ant take pictures. The main excitements, for me, are the big cutting table with storage underneath, a sink for dyeing fabric and yarn, and an honest to goodness workbench. It's the former one stall garage. Always was too little to park in. They call them "Model A" garages here- anyone know if the Model A was a small car?

The whole room has IKEA cabinets and shelves as the base for the cutting table. Then there are those LED lights under the cabinet and two pendent lights., plus the ceiling is just the beams painted white. The floor is concrete painted aqua, with a "beach mat" type rug (plastic woven) under the cutting table. Right now I have 8 machines belonging to a friend that I am re-wiring, so a few too many machines! I work tomorrow, and it is dark now, so I'll get some pictures on Friday. I have the Singer 31, set up for FMQ ( it's a treadle) the Dais VF treadle, the Singer 201 in a table, the red sewing table for everyone else, and the red topped MUTT I brought to the Turlock TOGA all set up. It's unbelievable to me that I have a room like this. Sometimes at night I run in there to check I' not dreaming! Only last year, the garage was full of junk and I had a corner in the TV room! Laura in Alameda, CA

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-10-2012 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I haven't been on this site in a few weeks but I just finished going back through the past twenty or so pages I missed - Charlee I hope you're feeling well and Miriam I'm glad things turned out well for Wilbur!

I was thrilled to see the several White Family Rotary machines over the past few pages because one of those very machines finally found it's way home with me!

I was looking at one of the black embossed White's on CL a while back but it didn't pan out. :( But, my Step Uncle's Mother passed away recently, and sadly my Aunt and he had to sell everything in the estate. They had a sale a few weeks ago and thought of me because I am so mad about sewing and machines. I paid him $10 for this...and while it's nothing super fancy, it's one I don't have and it looks to have been born in 1924...so excited to clean this one up and play! I know absolutely nothing about White's other than it seems to be a lot harder to find info online about them than Singers! :)

grayhare 10-10-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5576872)
Me, too! A 2 spool would be too good to pass up. One of those technological innovations that I would be fascinated with. (But I'm easily amused!) I keep thinking I will get the sewing room all spiffed up ant take pictures. The main excitements, for me, are the big cutting table with storage underneath, a sink for dyeing fabric and yarn, and an honest to goodness workbench. It's the former one stall garage. Always was too little to park in. They call them "Model A" garages here- anyone know if the Model A was a small car?

The whole room has IKEA cabinets and shelves as the base for the cutting table. Then there are those LED lights under the cabinet and two pendent lights., plus the ceiling is just the beams painted white. The floor is concrete painted aqua, with a "beach mat" type rug (plastic woven) under the cutting table. Right now I have 8 machines belonging to a friend that I am re-wiring, so a few too many machines! I work tomorrow, and it is dark now, so I'll get some pictures on Friday. I have the Singer 31, set up for FMQ ( it's a treadle) the Dais VF treadle, the Singer 201 in a table, the red sewing table for everyone else, and the red topped MUTT I brought to the Turlock TOGA all set up. It's unbelievable to me that I have a room like this. Sometimes at night I run in there to check I' not dreaming! Only last year, the garage was full of junk and I had a corner in the TV room! Laura in Alameda, CA

Hi Laura, This sounds fantastic!! Growing up we had a utility sink in the garage, I think it is just so convenient, and practical. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. Did you come up with the design?
Anamaria

quiltingweb 10-10-2012 07:08 PM

Love it! I have two...one like this and another that is embossed. The one like this is a treadle and sews like a dream. The other is motorized and a bit sluggish, but coming along. I know ISMACS has some information on them along with a threading diagram.

vintagemotif 10-10-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5576872)

Laura, Your new sewing room sounds lovely. All those vintage machines should be very happy in their new location.
Enjoy and happy treadling!

JudyTheSewer 10-10-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH (Post 5576737)
Herself isn't that hot on the National - the cabinet is kind of chunky and clunky looking. She's also not that hot on me getting the Davis but that's still open to discussion - if I really want it I'll go ahead and get it (better pictures to come from the seller.) It's cheaper, but quite a bit further away - the Two Spools is only about 15 miles away.

Miriam is right - you need both machines! Every collection NEEDS them. I suggest you divide on conquer - Herself takes one car to pick up the Davis and you head for the Two Spool.

JudyTheSewer 10-10-2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5576996)
<cut>...and while it's nothing super fancy, it's one I don't have and it looks to have been born in 1924...so excited to clean this one up and play! I know absolutely nothing about White's other than it seems to be a lot harder to find info online about them than Singers! :)

I have a real soft spot in my heart for the Whites. Congratulations on your acquisition!

vintagemotif 10-10-2012 07:32 PM

Laura, You do know that Cathy owns a Two Spools? She could always bring it down when she visits. See if the machine fits that mutt treadle cabinet. You could have a night of treadling the Two Spools while she rewires those machines for ya...or re-time a machine of yours. She sure does love to tweak the machines.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-11-2012 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5577040)
Love it! I have two...one like this and another that is embossed. The one like this is a treadle and sews like a dream. The other is motorized and a bit sluggish, but coming along. I know ISMACS has some information on them along with a threading diagram.

I really want one of the embossed machines...they are just SO stinkin' pretty!! I checked out ISMACS and you're right they do have a nice lengthy article on the history of White machines...I am going to need that threading guide as the tension on this machine looks alien to me!

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5577056)
I have a real soft spot in my heart for the Whites. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Oh so do I Judy! I live about an hour east of Cleveland too, so that makes me extra mushy for the White's. :) Thank you!