Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-12-2012 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by makitmama (Post 5579492)
she is gorgeous, and going to be stunning when she is done at the beauty shop!
be careful with the turtle wax in crevices...

I wasn't sure if this was meant for my White or the Red Eye up there! :) If for me - then thanks! LOL* I did discover quickly how careful you must be with that turtle wax!!! LOL* I'm really excited to see if I can actually improve the appearance...and then show off! Lol* :)

miriam 10-12-2012 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5579729)
Miriam thank you for pointing me towards Glenn's tutorials - I found one within this thread about using lighter fluid, denatured alchohol and linseed oil - I think that would really help this machine out! The bed is speckled and spotted with rough patches - I'm guessing that's missing shellac?

You will really like Glenn's method of cleaning up a machine!

nurseknitsLaura 10-12-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5579226)
Here's my progress so far...

Very nice! You've done a lovely job- don't the machines seem to appreciate all our efforts? I've never felt the same gratitude vibe from an inanimate objects as I have from a sewing machine. Laura

quiltingweb 10-13-2012 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...335446910.html

How does this work? [ATTACH=CONFIG]369281[/ATTACH]

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-13-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5580178)
You will really like Glenn's method of cleaning up a machine!

I think your right! I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up his suggested supplies. I am falling in love with this little machine the more time I spend with it so I hope my efforts improve it and don't ruin it. Eep! Little bit nervous... :)

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5581376)
Very nice! You've done a lovely job- don't the machines seem to appreciate all our efforts? I've never felt the same gratitude vibe from an inanimate objects as I have from a sewing machine. Laura

I KNOW!!! These old machines just have souls it feels like. You can almost just feel a connection with the original owner's and can't you just imagine the thrill they must have had when that sewing machine first came home with them?

jlhmnj 10-13-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5581954)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...335446910.html

How does this work? [ATTACH=CONFIG]369281[/ATTACH]

Missing a bunch of parts--the top leaf tension, front slide plate, and possibly knob or handle for hand crank. Who knows what else. Strictly parts machine.

Jon

oldhag 10-14-2012 05:07 AM

I would think the knob for hand crank is sitting on the spool pin.

BoJangles 10-14-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by makitmama (Post 5577404)
Yipee! I converted one of my 66 Red Eyes to hand crank! now that I know it works, my next project will be to strip, repaint, and redecal this machine. I am going to use black paint and the correct decals, so hopefully it will turn out good as new....
the picture makes it look like this machine has good decals already- but I promise you that the bed is trashed and a lot of the dark colors have worn thru to the underlayer.

Mama, that is a very pretty redeye as it is! Nice HC too!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-14-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5575762)
OK here is my Eldredege Two Spool. Boy does it so nice. Vintagemotif you are right this will make a great piecing machine. Miriam it cleaned up real nice.

Skip

Glenn, if I am not using my 319w in treadle to piece with, I am using my Two Spools. Actually, the Two Spools is the best machine for piecing as the standard foot that comes with the machine is a perfect 1/4". Because that Two Spools has feed dogs the exact same length there is no pulling of your fabric one way or the other - you get a perfectly straight 1/4" seam every time! You will love the Two Spools more and more as you use it! The extra spool of thread in the can is a big bonus too! Great machine! I love the Two Spools and I love both my Davis Vertical Feed machines. They are work horses!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-14-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5576025)
I finished a quilt!I quilted a giant spider web on it on my Davis VF! There is a little less space under the arm than my 201, but it worked out, and not a single wrinkle on the back. Most of the blocks were from a swap, but I put it together on my 201, whom I call Queen Mary, for some reason. Then, I sewed the binding down with my little Montgomery Wards zig zag. I will NEVER machine sew a binding again! I ended up having to satin stitch it, because I had made so many rumples. It was just to much to unpick it all. I sized this quilt to drape over the back of the couch- Carve a few pumpkins and I am done decorating for Halloween. Laura

Wow Laura great job! Love your colors!

Nancy