Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Cathieinut 11-25-2013 02:19 PM

Need some "expert" advice.
The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
Sigh...
So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.

miriam 11-25-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut (Post 6424168)
Need some "expert" advice.
The cleaning of my Singer 27 went well and hubby has it working nicely now it's my turn. I used the manual and know how to thread it but the shuttle/bobbin situation has be stumped.
I watched some Youtubes on how to wind the bobbin-check did that right but when it comes to loading the bobbin into the shuttle...there is a problem
I insert the wound bobbin into the opening and then pull the thread straight down the slot and try to pull it straight up through the tension thing and it just comes right back up the slot again.
I loosened the screw to see if it was too tight but other than finding a bit of thread wrapped around it, which I removed, didn't make a difference to get the thread under the tension thing.
Sigh...
So any suggestions from here? I can try a photo but since I am down to only my cell phone for pictures it might not be too clear but I can try.
I was so excited to get treading and now am at a standstill! Maybe I should have gone for the White with a rotary bobbin which I am familiar with first.

Muv has the best info on that stuff on her blog.

Glenn 11-25-2013 02:25 PM

Hey Charlie glad to see you back. Missed you a lot.
Skip

Cathieinut 11-25-2013 02:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Photos of the shuttle

miriam 11-25-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut (Post 6424216)
Photos of the shuttle

have you tried unwinding a little bobbin thread - see if it is too full?

Cathieinut 11-25-2013 04:16 PM

I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

nanna-up-north 11-25-2013 07:43 PM

Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.

Charlee 11-25-2013 09:12 PM

Thanks Skip! I missed all of you too! :)

manicmike 11-25-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut (Post 6424309)
I thought about the bobbin might being too full however...
I turns out I was just trying too hard to get the thread in the "right"place and I just needed to relax! LOL
If you are interested I posted a little short video on my Facebook page of the machine in action!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Got an error message "The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

Crossstitcher 11-26-2013 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6424635)
Cathie.... glad to hear you figured it out. I had the same problem with my 128 when I was first trying to use it. It's amazing how just relaxing makes such a difference. I seem to panic and then I have to take a little time to let my brain figure things out.

You are going to love that machine. I could watch the bobbin fill for hours..... amazing how it wraps the thread so perfectly. And, the stitches are great, too.

Glad you figured it out. I had the same problem when I first started. But, DH remembered how to do it from watching his mom. Once I got the hang of it seems so simple.