Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

irishrose 03-30-2012 08:45 AM

Kathy, The strands are just double. I can see no way to access the interior of the machine from the top. I think I have to unscrew the bottom and lift the cover off. I'm curious to whether it has an internal belt. At first I thought the motor was shot, now it sounds like the motor is doing its thing, but no action is happening. I don't need this machine, but there are a few cool cams and a buttonholer that are intriguing. I just appliqued a quilt with my Elna and she did her usual perfect work, so I'm not desparate. I just can't see the MW going to the dumpster if I can fix it. I can get a bobbin case when I figure out which one.

Miriam, everything turns, it does stitch by hand and the light works - the switch is inside faceplate cover - how weird is that? My 66 is in my little workspace waiting for Glenn to return, but it may have to move over.

Thank you both.

Mizkaki 03-30-2012 09:03 AM

Irishrose,

I see your answer to Miriam. Since you can hear the motor I believe the controller probably isn't the issue. I asked about the double/ triple strand wire because the triple could have indicated an electronic controller.

The top should come off, sometimes its screwed off and sometimes it prys off. When you get the top of you can see if the belt to the handwheel is an issue. Does the motor race when the FC is pressed? if it does then the belt may be broken.

Cathy

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5102375)
Kathy, The strands are just double. I can see no way to access the interior of the machine from the top. I think I have to unscrew the bottom and lift the cover off. I'm curious to whether it has an internal belt. At first I thought the motor was shot, now it sounds like the motor is doing its thing, but no action is happening. I don't need this machine, but there are a few cool cams and a buttonholer that are intriguing. I just appliqued a quilt with my Elna and she did her usual perfect work, so I'm not desparate. I just can't see the MW going to the dumpster if I can fix it. I can get a bobbin case when I figure out which one.

Miriam, everything turns, it does stitch by hand and the light works - the switch is inside faceplate cover - how weird is that? My 66 is in my little workspace waiting for Glenn to return, but it may have to move over.

Thank you both.

miriam 03-30-2012 09:20 AM

So it does get juice! There is that much.
Could be broken or missing belt.
Is it set for winding the bobbin?
Maybe the knob is assembled backwards or do those do that?

vintagemotif 03-30-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5102238)
I agree with Vintage. It is neat to use the different machines. I love useing each one of my special ladies but we have sew many it would take me a month to use each one if I used it one day. As I said before DH loves collecting machines and getting them to work and he enjoys watching me sewing on them when he gets them running. I have one of the older Davis's with the odd tension on top want to get to that one soon because I enjoy the one set up in the sewing room now. I wish you all could come and sew with me. Most of my friends have the newest machines and think I am crazy to use my ladies.

My father and MIL, both age 87, think I'm nuts in wanting to use vintage machine in treadles. I explained to them the difference in the machines and why I wanted those machines. I believe they understood, but still they think I'm nuts. I just ignore their talk and keep making my quilts. Interestingly, they both have stopped with why another machine.

I'm the only one in my house that takes interest in the vintage machines. My husband is supportive, but then my collection is only at 20 machines. I'm the person that must have a second machine as a backup machine. I once said I wanted to sell one machine, and it was my husband that said NO. He states that the machines have brought a warmth to the once cold backroom. :)

Hopefully over time, your friends will catch the vintage bug too! :)

melinda1962 03-30-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5102370)
I just got two Japanese deluxe machines - both have frozen up knobs and back stitch button. Any ideas how to get the knobs working?

If they are zigzag and the top comes off, oil with your precious triflow from the inside. I had one that was sticky, and just sewing machine oil helped it break loose. And when the stitch length regulator is set to 0, it won't backstitch anyway, so oil them all. If the top doesn't come off, then try from the end or from the back, behind the access plate. I know wd40 is a no-no, but sometimes is necessary. Do you have pics of the machines?

miriam 03-30-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 5102615)
If they are zigzag and the top comes off, oil with your precious triflow from the inside. I had one that was sticky, and just sewing machine oil helped it break loose. And when the stitch length regulator is set to 0, it won't backstitch anyway, so oil them all. If the top doesn't come off, then try from the end or from the back, behind the access plate. I know wd40 is a no-no, but sometimes is necessary. Do you have pics of the machines?

Melinda, I don't have pics yet. I've been dealing with family issues like you won't believe and so far that isn't going very well. Then I'm working too much so I'm having to do it all. Next week will be more of the same. The guy they hired for me to train quit before I got him trained. Two or more weeks to get someone else through HR. I'm just lucky to get some computer time once in a while.

vintagemotif 03-30-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5102657)
Melinda, I don't have pics yet. I've been dealing with family issues like you won't believe and so far that isn't going very well. Then I'm working too much so I'm having to do it all. Next week will be more of the same. The guy they hired for me to train quit before I got him trained. Two or more weeks to get someone else through HR. I'm just lucky to get some computer time once in a while.

<<HUGS>>> Hang in there Miriam!

irishrose 03-30-2012 12:34 PM

Cathy and Miriam, the top is off and I found a broken belt - it's very narrow - I hope my repairman has something similar. I have two screws soaking in gun oil so I can get the end cover off to access the belt area. I should have started a new thread for this one if it is as late as 1978, then it's not vintage to me. Things are looking up.

miriam 03-30-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5102926)
Cathy and Miriam, the top is off and I found a broken belt - it's very narrow - I hope my repairman has something similar. I have two screws soaking in gun oil so I can get the end cover off to access the belt area. I should have started a new thread for this one if it is as late as 1978, then it's not vintage to me. Things are looking up.

nah it's ok to do it on here. I have a couple to fix up when I can come up for air. I'm sure I'll have questions too. It would sure be fun to see if you can get it to work. I bet it will have some cool stitches, too.

Charlee 03-30-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5102926)

I think you could include anything that's pre-1990 as "vintage"!!