Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vmaniqui 01-14-2014 06:58 PM

here's one nice ole' NECCHI MACHINE . don't know if the price is nice too.

purplefiend 01-14-2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui (Post 6513158)

Lovely machine, doesn't come with any other feet though. So I think its kind of expensive.
Sharon

grant15clone 01-14-2014 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose (Post 6512983)
Not sure how to do this. I have very little computerese and don't know if anyone will get this message or how to retrieve an answer.
Today I bought a Singer 404 with beautiful table at a thrift store. The machine needs exterior cleaning up to start. What should I use to clean the exterior body of it, and all the nooks and crannies? I haven't opened the machine yet. the sample showed a beautiful stitch. Basically it was the table I was interested in so the machine was secondary. I read it's a good machine.

I use a mild car wax and wooden toothpicks in the many crevaces on those 404's with good results.
G

vmaniqui 01-14-2014 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6513230)
I use a mild car wax and wooden toothpicks in the many crevaces on those 404's with good results.
G

and sewing machine oil.

ThayerRags 01-15-2014 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6510763)
Thank you ThayerRags. I knew I read this somewhere and this may be it, but I am not certain. However, here, the author is talking specifically about the 27K. http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.co...wing-machines/ .....

I’ve read that blog, and I saw his comment about the later model 27Ks that had a handcrank boss on them (Quote: “The best I can do is say that in 1900 at least some 27K’s didn’t have a boss but by 1903 they all did.”), but I’ve never seen a Singer Model 27 with a hand crank boss on it. I don’t see a photo of one on his blog either. I’ve got three later 27-3 machines, (1903, 1908, & 1911) and none of them have a boss on them.

CD in Oklahoma

grant15clone 01-15-2014 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6513543)
I’ve read that blog, and I saw his comment about the later model 27Ks that had a handcrank boss on them (Quote: “The best I can do is say that in 1900 at least some 27K’s didn’t have a boss but by 1903 they all did.”), but I’ve never seen a Singer Model 27 with a hand crank boss on it. I don’t see a photo of one on his blog either. I’ve got three later 27-3 machines, (1903, 1908, & 1911) and none of them have a boss on them.

CD in Oklahoma

I can't say that I have either. I am reminded of a quote. "Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."
~G~

chris_quilts 01-15-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui (Post 6513158)

It is a Mira not a plain BU and comes with cams, Wonder Wheel and some stuff. Nice machine but I think a bit high on the price.
Chris

quilt addict 01-15-2014 03:01 PM

It has been a long time since I posted on the thread. But with the new year been wanting to get back to some of the neglected machines. I dropped the shuttle from my Domestic Rotary and of course the tip broke off. I thought no problem I have another one to clean so I will just get the shuttle out of that one. It is a tad too big. I can force it in but then the machine is bound up and difficult to turn. Anyone have a shuttle they are willing to part with? In the manual it is listed as part 825 I believe.

SewExtremeSeams 01-15-2014 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Yankeegirl (Post 6512307)
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/assistance. We purchased an old house in Oct. along with its contents. I now have a Queen treadle and a Singer 66 Red Eye (very cool!!). I started cleaning up the Red Eye today and like an idiot I saw what I thought was red lint stuck by the bobbin case and have been picking & pulling at it. UGH!! Now I understand that it is a wick. How the heck do I replace this? I know I should have researched first but just didn't think clearly - one of my cats was killed last night on the road and we are trying to dig a grave for her - ground frozen, rainy awful day. So please be kind lol. I will post some pics soon to show you what I inherited here. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Hi Yankee girl, I am so sorry to hear about your cat.

I just logged in to find out the answer to my question which is the same as yours. A few days ago DH brought home a $20 Spartan he found at a local thrift store. It will need lots of cleaning and de rusting. As I was oiling the bobbin race from underneath, I spotted what I thought to be a build up of lint. After tugging pretty hard on it with tweezers I decided it must be an oil wick of some sort. Here is a photo to show what I am talking about. I didn't manage to pull it out so it should still work, right?

Yankeegirl 01-15-2014 04:36 PM

Hey Linda! I actually managed to remove more than you did lol. I'm going to just replace mine as its old anyway - the house we bought had been empty for 3 years before we moved in and who knows the last time this machine was even used. I'm taking my time with this - I'm in no hurry and its all new to me so going to read everything I can and ask lots of questions! I'm sure someone that knows will chime in so that you have an answer.