Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 01-30-2014 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6543728)
Glenn, that buttonholer I got was for a left needle machine!!! I didn't know they made anything to fit those!

That is a new one on me to.

vintagemotif 01-30-2014 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6543200)
No where warm - just Florida........

That is much warmer than other places in the States.

miriam 01-30-2014 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 6543984)
That is much warmer than other places in the States.

yes but with the wind chill it wasn't any kind of warm. We froze sitting around a camp fire some nights. Good thing we had warm quilt/comforters on the beds at night. EMT asked us how we kept warm. We used hoodie shirts, hand warmers, the blankets with a wool blanket in between and then we put a layer of wool and a canvas shower curtain by the head of the bed - I think I want a canopy bed made out of quilts if I sleep in the cold like that again. BBBRRR. oh and wool socks. Day time we had on LAYERS of clothes. I got a tan on the end of my nose - or was that wind burn?

quilt addict 01-30-2014 12:14 PM

Welcome back Miriam. I hope everyone is dealing with all the cold and ice issues east of here.

I am still looking for a shuttle for a Domestic Rotary, manual lists it as part #835. Does anyone have one to spare?

I am not sure why the one I took from another machine that has not been cleaned yet will not work. Do you think that I could sand down the outside to make it fit better? I can force it in but then the machine binds when it is turned.

Thanks,
Lisa

purplefiend 01-30-2014 01:56 PM

Miriam,
I'm so glad you're back. It sounds like you had a good time even though you were cold.
I've been busy using my White Rotary treadle for sewing quilt blocks,sewing the quilt top together & binding the quilt.
Its been rather chilly in my part of Texas, we've had a few days of temps in the 60s ,then its back down in the low 20s with sleet,snow and ice. My house is heated with fan type electric space heaters, the best we've done is 68 inside. Have to wear a sweater and 2 shirts, wool socks to stay warm.
Sharon W. in Texas

miriam 01-30-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6544680)
Miriam,
I'm so glad you're back. It sounds like you had a good time even though you were cold.
I've been busy using my White Rotary treadle for sewing quilt blocks,sewing the quilt top together & binding the quilt.
Its been rather chilly in my part of Texas, we've had a few days of temps in the 60s ,then its back down in the low 20s with sleet,snow and ice. My house is heated with fan type electric space heaters, the best we've done is 68 inside. Have to wear a sweater and 2 shirts, wool socks to stay warm.
Sharon W. in Texas

Yup, I gained 10 lbs - it's all clothes though. I think we are up to 60 in the kitchen right now. Have to do dishes to get the hands warm. The kidos came over today and sat by the heater while DD went to see the OB. Momma says it will be a girl in a couple weeks. The DIL had a girl last week!!! If they lived close they would be fun cousins.

vintagemotif 01-30-2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6544031)
yes but with the wind chill it wasn't any kind of warm. We froze sitting around a camp fire some nights. Good thing we had warm quilt/comforters on the beds at night. EMT asked us how we kept warm. We used hoodie shirts, hand warmers, the blankets with a wool blanket in between and then we put a layer of wool and a canvas shower curtain by the head of the bed - I think I want a canopy bed made out of quilts if I sleep in the cold like that again. BBBRRR. oh and wool socks. Day time we had on LAYERS of clothes. I got a tan on the end of my nose - or was that wind burn?

Miriam, Next time bring a sub zero sleeping bag to keep yourself warm.

thrillhouse 01-30-2014 09:27 PM

I've never heard of windchill in Florida, wow! This has been an exceptionally cold winter for much of North America. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and even for here this winter is getting out of hand. Our average daily temperature is around -40. It's been like this since the first week of December and will likely continue until at least the end of March. On new year's eve it was -51C here which is about -60 Fahrenheit. Our family did not go out that day, way too cold even for us.

SteveH 01-31-2014 08:41 AM

...can you mix anti-freeze with sewing machine oil... hehe (Joking)

missgigglewings 01-31-2014 12:21 PM

OK you all...got another question about treadles. I am about to trade my 1947 Bronze New Home (in a cabinet) and $100.00 for a 1926 Singer. Cleaned, oiled, new belts, runs great. I have always wanted a treadle and this one was made the year my mom was born. She passed away 2 weeks ago. Sentimental...I know!. From these same people I can have a 1970-80 Singer re-make...beautiful condition (clean and pretty)also runs great...same deal! Which would you choose and please tell me why...thank you all so much for being here!