Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 03-10-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6619854)
any short shank zig zag most likely

Miriam, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

miriam 03-10-2014 05:54 PM

I love old buttonholers. There are some that work with any machine depending on the shank - they move the fabric back and forth. The 'professional' buttonholers need zig zag. I think if you look at the piece it goes back and forth or the needle goes back and forth. I should get a couple out and shoot pics of differences. I'm kinda tired. Does anybody else hate day light savings time? The kidos have been over a few days in a row. Emma is so cute. She is very short 18in. I think she is the shortest DGK at birth. She is very petite. SO none of her clothes fit.

chris_quilts 03-10-2014 06:06 PM

I know the buttonholer I have for the 301 moves the fabric back and forth but I think one might move the needle. It was a real deal 50% off day at the thirft shop which has low prices to begin with anyway.
This buttonholer might be V102878 - that's the # on the box. It is a mystery and I'm not sure I own any zigzag machines minus the Necchi I just remembered I have. I might have a buttonholer already for that one.

nanna-up-north 03-11-2014 05:23 AM

I love those older buttonholers. They make the most beautiful buttonholes. My newest fancy machine (by newest I mean about 15 years old) doesn't make nearly as nice a buttonhole. I probably made my 1st buttonhole using an old machine over 50-55 years ago. Old habits are hard to change.

miriam 03-11-2014 05:25 AM

I love it when you can make a button hole on the wide stitch then go around it on narrow - looks so sharp!

Janis 03-11-2014 02:12 PM

BOBBINS, BOBBINS, BOBBINS!!! I just got through taking multiple layers of different colored threads off 11 ( where is the 12th?) #66 bobbins. and now want to know if someone else knows anything about them. I got them at a thrift store a while back. They have JAPAN printed and a crown on the center of the bobbins where the thread is wound. They are lighter than the #66 bobbins I got from sew-classic, but I'm thinking older than the cheap ones found in Joann and Walmart. Will they work on my Singer 66 and 99s? Any idea of how old they are?
Janis

miriam 03-11-2014 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 6621444)
BOBBINS, BOBBINS, BOBBINS!!! I just got through taking multiple layers of different colored threads off 11 ( where is the 12th?) #66 bobbins. and now want to know if someone else knows anything about them. I got them at a thrift store a while back. They have JAPAN printed and a crown on the center of the bobbins where the thread is wound. They are lighter than the #66 bobbins I got from sew-classic, but I'm thinking older than the cheap ones found in Joann and Walmart. Will they work on my Singer 66 and 99s? Any idea of how old they are?
Janis

nothing to lose - try them.

chris_quilts 03-11-2014 06:15 PM

Agree with Miriam. Have found some older funky looking bobbins at yard sales which work as well as the ones that came with some of my machines. One of mine is a 66/99 bobbin but is solid on 1 side and the usual 4 holes on the other. Works well though despite its looks.

miriam 03-12-2014 02:27 AM

If the bobbins are bent you will want to throw them away - they won't work well in the bobbin case.

miriam 03-13-2014 05:34 PM

Does anybody read here any more???
I got a note from Elaine, J Miller's wife just a bit ago. Here is the note:
Miriam,
Joe is back in the hospital as of this afternoon. His chest cold/bronchitus turned to pneumonia or it is the start of congestive heart failure. The doctors are kepping him and running tests the next few days.
Elaine