Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

HelenAnn 05-19-2014 02:13 AM

For another $25. maybe he would have helped you carry it down. ;)

KenmoreRulesAll 05-19-2014 06:30 AM

I guess I'm too cheap. Now, if he offered to clean it for $25... :) Getting it in the house was a pain but I woke up the next morning with sore legs, shoulders, and a smile. I've been looking at industrial machines for a couple of months, thinking about a Pfaff 134 or a modern Juki. I don't think this 130 would cut it.

purplefiend 05-20-2014 11:45 AM

What type of needle does the 130 use? I'm hoping a 15x1.
Sharon

KenmoreRulesAll 05-20-2014 12:33 PM

Yes, that's correct: 15x1. From what I've read about the 130 (which at this point isn't much), they used to take a needle designated the 130R, appropriately enough. This was essentially a 15x1 but with the added feature of a different eye design that diminished the bias between the hook and the needle while cycling (130s are rotary, not oscillating). This design eventually became the standard 15x1 design we all use today.

Nifty!

purplefiend 05-21-2014 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6724490)
Yes, that's correct: 15x1. From what I've read about the 130 (which at this point isn't much), they used to take a needle designated the 130R, appropriately enough. This was essentially a 15x1 but with the added feature of a different eye design that diminished the bias between the hook and the needle while cycling (130s are rotary, not oscillating). This design eventually became the standard 15x1 design we all use today.

Nifty!

I'm happy to hear that the 130 takes a 15x1 needle. My Pfaff 60 treadle does also. I wonder if the 130 could be treadled and would probably fit in the 60's cabinet.
I've been drooling over a Pfaff 130 lately, however I'm sure that another machine in the herd wouldn't go over well with the spousal unit.
Sharon

ThayerRags 05-21-2014 06:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6725177)
.....I wonder if the 130 could be treadled and would probably fit in the 60's cabinet.....
Sharon

Yes. I have one put together (Pfaff 130-6 & Singer Treadle) as a MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle), for use by a booth Vendor in small remote areas. I used the top out of an electric Singer Model 88 Cosmopolitan Cabinet. It works just fine, but I’m going to stick with my first one that I built, a Singer 319W and straight-leg Singer MUTT, to use in my booths.

CD in Oklahoma

oldsewnsew 05-21-2014 07:18 AM

LIKE. Simpler, lighter clean

KenmoreRulesAll 05-21-2014 10:17 AM

CD, you have the spoked hand wheel which I think looks one heck of a lot better than the Bakelite version I have. And your treadle table looks great. I also like your spool pin setup. Thanks for posting your pictures.

redmadder 05-21-2014 03:43 PM

I need some help diagnosing a problem with my 15 91. Sometimes the upper thread gets hung on something in the bobbin area and makes a nest on the bottom. It only happens every 6 to 8 inches. It doesn't hang up, just makes a noise and keeps sewing. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking of ordering a new bobbin case from Sew Classic.

I've watched it in motion. The thread goes down and around but the loop hangs up, then the next stitch brings the whole mess up to the fabric and the machine just keeps stitching. Can't find any burrs or scratches that would explain the thread getting caught down there.

Does anyone know what Singer needles size 16 X 231 Y fit? There are a couple of dozen of them. Also have Groz-Beckert B 27s, also labeled DC X 27. No clue what they go to.

miriam 05-21-2014 03:47 PM

I would be looking for burrs, rust or dried up oil on the bobbin case, hook well, check the whole area. Also check the throat plate for burrs.