Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quiltdoctor 04-14-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5140739)
Color me green with envy!!!!!

Color me Incredibly lucky!!! (I just love miniature type things anyway)

Texas Jan

miriam 04-14-2012 03:58 PM

Oh, I won't need to buy any new tools.... My favorite screw driver was stolen a few years ago. It was one an old sewing machine repair man ground at a slight angle for doing the throat plates. I LOVED that thing. It was long and skinny. I'm somewhat of a tool freak too. I could spend some time looking at tools.

Lights drive me crazy. The light bulbs these days don't cut it. I have an old clamp light (a reject from somewhere...) and an old photography lamp with the things that flip around (get in the way). Phil had pity on me for Christmas and bought a couple LED lamps and a tiny flash light with a goose neck. Love that thing.

BoJangles 04-14-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 5140635)
I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.

Texas Jan

OMG Jan! I am green green green with envy!!! I have never seen one of those! Geeze, now I am going to go crazy trying to find one for ME!

Nancy

vintagemotif 04-14-2012 05:30 PM

Jan, Your new find, is a GEM of a FIND!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing with us. Most likely, the majority of us will never see a "half pint" W&W 9; so, it is very nice to see a photo of one. Also nice to know that you are the new steward of this gem. That is one cool looking machine!!! Have fun with that vintage beauty!

Glenn 04-14-2012 05:34 PM

Boy Jan you really found a special machine here. Now we are all looking for one

quiltdoctor 04-14-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5141437)
Jan, Your new find, is a GEM of a FIND!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing with us. Most likely, the majority of us will never see a "half pint" W&W 9; so, it is very nice to see a photo of one. Also nice to know that you are the new steward of this gem. That is one cool looking machine!!! Have fun with that vintage beauty!

I'm glad I have it so I can share her here online. Never realized she was rare when I got her. I knew she was awfully cute though. Gonna be real careful with her.

Texas Jan

quiltdoctor 04-14-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5141445)
Boy Jan you really found a special machine here. Now we are all looking for one

There is another style of the half pint that the base is only made to be a hand crank. It can't fit in a treadle. Must be some of them around.

Texas Jan

SewExtremeSeams 04-14-2012 08:22 PM

Texas Jan, your Wheeler Wilson is pretty cool. And, CD, I love your fiddle head handcrank! Wow on both machines.

I wish I could have brought home new macines today. Instead I ran into problems with my FW and my 301. Both are waiting for me to get back to them. Needed a break. Maybe tomorrow things will 'click' together, better.:eek:

Bennett 04-15-2012 06:51 AM

That W&W looks like such an interesting machine, especially next to the FW. The lines are so similar. The FW always seemed so much more "squarish" than other Singers. Interesting!

I ran across something yesterday (not sure if it's been posted--haven't been on the board as much lately) that has certainly helped me, since I am now the proud owner of a frozen black 301 long bed! A 301 adjusters manual is online at Scribd. You can view it for free, but can't download unless you are a member (subscription fee) or are able to upload something in return. Singer 301 adjusters manual.

Candace 04-15-2012 07:25 AM

Bennett, I believe these manuals are also available via on the vintagesinger yahoo site.