Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 08-12-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Billy

I just picked up an old singer and don't know much about it yet. On the stitch length selecter it says Back Tack. I think it is a 66-16 according to the manual. Serial # is AJ418122. I know the feed dogs don't drop but it has a plate to put over them. It stitches good but I have to try free motion quilting on it If I learn how to post a picture I will get one up for you to see. I also have an old New Home I just received, like it but the needles are hard to find. shorter than the universals.

Suzy

March 16 1950 with 15,000 of them allotted

Billy

quilterguy27 08-12-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I just came across this featherweight posted today. Looks good to me and the price seems right. Just thought I'd share if anyone is interested.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/atq/1887460075.html

It was too hard to resist. I made the guy an offer. I hope he takes it or at least makes me a counter offer. It doesn't have a manual, or any of the "extras" that come with a featherweight. I've got my fingers crossed.

Lostn51 08-12-2010 09:22 AM

I am crossing my fingers hopping you get it!!

Billy

Annaquilts 08-12-2010 09:58 AM

HELP!

Looking for a way to make a 1/4 inch seam with a 15-91 Singer.

I thought we bought 1/4 inch foot for a Singer 15-91 low shaft as it was sold to us as such but it definitely is not a 1/4 inch when on the Singer 15-91. How do I obtain a 1/4 inch for piecing? Or do I need to resort to tape? The foot was sold for both a low shaft Singer 66 treadle and an electric low shaft Singer 15-91. They are supposed to both use the same feet. Where we told wrong by the seller? It makes a wonderful 1/4 inch for the Singer 66 treadle. The foot attaches with no problem on the 15-91 but the needle hits too much to the left and even nicks onthe metal of the foot.

quilterguy27 08-12-2010 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am crossing my fingers hopping you get it!!

Billy

Me too, cause here's the plan. If I do get it for what I offered, maybe I can sell it for more and then I will have the money to send you my 1948 for a repaint in my all time favorite color: ORANGE! I'm still looking at vehicles for ideas. I'm kinda thinking of the PT Cruiser. What do you think of this one? Is it even an option? Also, I believe I mentioned black decals. Do they come in white? Is white even an option (custom maybe). Boy, watch that price go up.

Miz Johnny 08-12-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
HELP!

I thought we bought 1/4 inch foot for a Singer 15-91 low shaft as it was sold to us as such but it definitely is not a 1/4 inch when on the Singer 15-91. How do I obtain a 1/4 inch for piecing? Or do I need to resort to tape?

Use either the bed-mounted stitch gauge found with most accessory sets or one of the advertising magnets (rectangular and flat) on the bed the proper distance from the needle.

If you really want a 1/4" foot, the "Little Foot" works just great, and there are a number of others that do as well. Alphasew has a couple that I have used. I have also used the ankle from a Viking 6000 series and the 1/4" snap-on foot on my SS Singer machines. I don't really understand why the foot you bought would work on your 66 but not on a class 15 machine. Should work on it as well.

dvseals 08-12-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
HELP!

I thought we bought 1/4 inch foot for a Singer 15-91 low shaft as it was sold to us as such but it definitely is not a 1/4 inch when on the Singer 15-91. How do I obtain a 1/4 inch for piecing? Or do I need to resort to tape? The foot was sold for both a low shaft Singer 66 treadle and an electric low shaft Singer 15-91. They are supposed to both use the same feet. Where we told wrong by the seller? It makes a wonderful 1/4 inch for the Singer 66 treadle. The foot attaches with no problem on the 15-91 but the needle hits too much to the left and even nicks onthe metal of the foot.

On mine I use the 2 screws that hold the right side of the plate down. gives a nice 1/4 seam when ya line edge of ya fabric up with the screws.

Suzy 08-12-2010 01:21 PM

Nancy

Thank you, I was playing with it today and it stitches a good straight stitch and also let me free motion quilt with a pretty good looking stitch. Going to practice free motion on it and hopefully quilt a quilt on it. I am still just learning free motion so we will see. I like that the throat is a good 9 inches and also high from bed of machine to top. Roomy, compared to some machines. I've sewed for more than 40 years but just started quilting approximately 4 years ago.

Thanks Again

Suzy

AbbyQuilts 08-12-2010 01:34 PM

I just got 3 new singers today. I will post pics a little later buy here are their dates.

They are all Singer 66's

First one it is not a treadle but it doesn't have a motor on it either. The guy told me it will need a new fly wheel to make it into a treadle.
AB892879 Oct 25th 1927 with 50000 allotted

2nd This one has a motor and the cord to plug in but not a foot peddle I am going to look over it to see whats going on
with it and see if it is worth getting a foot peddle for it.

AG664467 April 8th 1947 with 15000 allotted

The 1st and 2nd one were both made in Elizabeth NJ.

The 3rd one is a Singer red eye 66 with a 6 drawer cabinet that is ohh so pretty.
The decals are wonderful on it but I cant find any information on it.
I know that it was made in Wittenberge, (Prussia) Germany sometime after 1908 but Singer says they lost the records.
I dont really care it is beautiful.

Here is this ones info
C3551625

Like I said I will get some picks up tonight or tomorrow I was just so happy and excited I had to share

AbbyQuilts 08-12-2010 02:30 PM

haha I think I got that last one wrong.Its really hard to tell if the serial number is a C or a G but I am thinking G.

If it is then it is
G3551625 made March 16th 1910 made in Elizabeth NJ
That is still really cool