Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 08-30-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Okay....so now that I have Singers feather weight, 301, 99K, 66 handcrank, 15-99, Modle 12 treadle, 401, and the 500 Rocketeer, is my collection now complete. Are there any more "got to have it" Singers to collect?

Cause...I just counted, and DH has 15 fishing poles, so that means I can add some more right? :-)

My DH reads every thing printed here and he just told me he needs more fishing poles or hunting guns to keep up with me.
But truth be known he is the one that has gotten bitten by the sewing machine bug. We have had a lot of fun going to yard sales, flea markets and shops looking for old machines.

Darcene 08-30-2010 03:48 PM

[quote=Crossstitcher]

Originally Posted by Darcene

Hi, I just got a 319 over the weekend. Mine is black an it's in a cabinet. It was hard for me to find the manual on line but finally did. Then found the orginial manual in the machine. Mine's missing the disk and I called a Singer center here in WV and she is checking to see if she has some. Also told me this machine only takes a 206-13 needle. Checking to see if she has any of those and some bobbins. I only got 1 with mine. About your question on the belt I don't know but when the repair lady calls me back I will ask. So love your machine. Only paid $50.00 for it.

:D :D

OOHHH, I love yours too. Mine is not in a cabinet (as you saw) but cabinets are pretty easy to find around here so once I get the belt I will start looking for a cabinet...maybe one of the 15s can share a space...I totally forgot about the odd needle...I will have to check with Billy and see if this is something he will have or just wait until next time I am in Wichita to buy a couple....where did you find the manual online? I just took a closer look at your cabinet...it the machine mounted off center and on a diagonal? Or is it just my eyes going wonky after a long day?

Well, I just found a manual on the ISMACS site for a 319K-mine is a 319W, but it looks like the only difference between the two is where they were manufactured....When I went to the Singer serial numbers pages it says that the records for the W series was lost so I have no idea of the age of my machine....how about yours?

Lostn51 08-30-2010 03:58 PM

I made a trip to Wichita today....and this is what came home with me...in addition to bobbins for every model of machine that I have, some Singer motor lubricant....oh, and did I mention some fabric too?

The OSMG that I bought the bobbins and lubricant from said that all of the Singer model numbers that I gave him were great machines and that I would be very happy with them.....with the exception of the 319....he said that their internal gear belts may break and that they cannot be replaced....I had not seen that information here and I sincerely hope that he is exaggerating the gear issue....does anyone have any input on this? I am already in love with this machine and it really won't change my decision to keep and use this machine but I want to know what to watch out for if this is indeed an issue with this machine.

It came with 20 cams and an accessory set....I will download a manual and after a little cleaning and oiling I am going to give this machine a whirl.....the name Bruce is bouncing around in my head...somehow this machine seems to have a definite masculine feel to it....I just gave the hand wheel several turns and the belt is brittle and trying to come apart....I will start there then with a new belt and then we will see......

I love the machine Darcene!! And your sewing guy is a bone head I can get a boat load of those gear belts here in 2 days. In fact the parts for that machine are quite readily available. I can get your Bobbins, Belts, Cams you name it....

Billy

Darcene 08-30-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I made a trip to Wichita today....and this is what came home with me...in addition to bobbins for every model of machine that I have, some Singer motor lubricant....oh, and did I mention some fabric too?

I love the machine Darcene!! And your sewing guy is a bone head I can get a boat load of those gear belts here in 2 days. In fact the parts for that machine are quite readily available. I can get your Bobbins, Belts, Cams you name it....

Billy

I knew you would come through for me Billy...we are both referring to the gargantuan belt with the gnarly looking stitching that is inside the machine on the right hand side? What about a few needles....after looking at the manual, I think I have finally met a machine that may be a lot smarter than I am....

Crossstitcher 08-30-2010 04:07 PM

[quote=Darcene]

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Hi, I just got a 319 over the weekend. Mine is black an it's in a cabinet. It was hard for me to find the manual on line but finally did. Then found the orginial manual in the machine. Mine's missing the disk and I called a Singer center here in WV and she is checking to see if she has some. Also told me this machine only takes a 206-13 needle. Checking to see if she has any of those and some bobbins. I only got 1 with mine. About your question on the belt I don't know but when the repair lady calls me back I will ask. So love your machine. Only paid $50.00 for it.

:D :D

OOHHH, I love yours too. Mine is not in a cabinet (as you saw) but cabinets are pretty easy to find around here so once I get the belt I will start looking for a cabinet...maybe one of the 15s can share a space...I totally forgot about the odd needle...I will have to check with Billy and see if this is something he will have or just wait until next time I am in Wichita to buy a couple....where did you find the manual online? I just took a closer look at your cabinet...it the machine mounted off center and on a diagonal? Or is it just my eyes going wonky after a long day?

Well, I just found a manual on the ISMACS site for a 319K-mine is a 319W, but it looks like the only difference between the two is where they were manufactured....When I went to the Singer serial numbers pages it says that the records for the W series was lost so I have no idea of the age of my machine....how about yours?

I couldn't find a date either but on the manual that came with mine it says 1956. Yes the cabinet is off center about 30 degrees. It has a knee bar and foot pedal. They are suppose to have 24 disk plus what you can do just using the little levers. If you find those needles let me know incase I can't get them here. Also if you can get extra bobbins. I really hope I can get the disk because I do all kinds of sewing not just quilts. I hope you have luck in finding a belt in case you need it.

Crossstitcher 08-30-2010 04:21 PM

Billy

I knew you would come through for me Billy...we are both referring to the gargantuan belt with the gnarly looking stitching that is inside the machine on the right hand side? What about a few needles....after looking at the manual, I think I have finally met a machine that may be a lot smarter than I am....

I too think this machine is smarter than I am but I will prevail. How do you think this will work when doing FMQ? It has a large throat to take a rolled up quilt.

Darcene 08-30-2010 04:32 PM

[quote=Crossstitcher]

after looking at the manual, I think I have finally met a machine that may be a lot smarter than I am....

I too think this machine is smarter than I am but I will prevail. How do you think this will work when doing FMQ? It has a large throat to take a rolled up quilt.

I have yet to be brave enough to try FMQ---it's a lot like standing on the end of the high level diving board and trying to get up the nerve to jump into the water....I hadn't even given any thought to FMQ with this machine...I was going to start with one of the 15s and see what happened-I've been told that the 15s are excellent for FMQ---but I'm willing to try with the 319....

Lostn51 08-30-2010 04:40 PM

Darcene the 9W that you mailed me is way smarter than I am!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I will PM you the prices and what I can get for you ;-)

Billy

Darcene 08-30-2010 04:45 PM

[quote=Lostn51]

Darcene the 9W that you mailed me is way smarter than I am!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not possible....where would we all be without our brilliant leader????

I will PM you the prices and what I can get for you ;-)

I'll be watching for it.....

Billy

:lol:

quilt addict 08-30-2010 06:14 PM

Well, back home from a girl's weekend. The machine diet continues as the one I was going to look at near her house was sold. Did not get to go to any thrift shops. I did see a White in a parlor cabinet in an antique store in Placerville. They were asking too much.

I did not know my friend had a treadle. We took it out and it is a beautiful Singer 66K serial F6103032, with the brown lotus decals in very good condition. I was not sure if it was just dirty or if they made that model with black side faceplate and feet?

Happy to see everyone else has had a great time finding new machines.