Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 11-04-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Use that new Featherweight! I would toss the modern into a closet and only pull it out for decorative stitches that could be use in quilting or finishing a binding. I read that the straight stitches on the FW are far nicer than any modern machine.

I would love to see your Mystery Quilt top.

I would love to use the new FW, but my DH says I can't have it to use until Christmas because I already have plenty of other machines to use! That is the deal I made with him when I wanted yet another machine! Bummmer! I have the Pfaff all set up in a cabinet in my sewing room -- so I usually piece with it!

I just finished the Halloween panel with my 15-88 treadle so I could treadle this Mystery Quilt, but I don't quite have the nerve to treadle a Mystery Quilt! It is hard enough when you are making a quilt with clues and don't know what you are making, then to add doing it with a treadle! I want to do my first pieced quilt done on a treadle with a simple design! This Mystery Quilt is all in Tonga Treats, batiks and I have no idea what we are making. I am on Clue 7, there are usually about 20 to 25 clues before we get done!

Nancy

vintagemotif 11-04-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Use that new Featherweight! I would toss the modern into a closet and only pull it out for decorative stitches that could be use in quilting or finishing a binding. I read that the straight stitches on the FW are far nicer than any modern machine.

I would love to see your Mystery Quilt top.

I would love to use the new FW, but my DH says I can't have it to use until Christmas because I already have plenty of other machines to use! That is the deal I made with him when I wanted yet another machine! Bummmer! I have the Pfaff all set up in a cabinet in my sewing room -- so I usually piece with it!

I just finished the Halloween panel with my 15-88 treadle so I could treadle this Mystery Quilt, but I don't quite have the nerve to treadle a Mystery Quilt! It is hard enough when you are making a quilt with clues and don't know what you are making, then to add doing it with a treadle! I want to do my first pieced quilt done on a treadle with a simple design! This Mystery Quilt is all in Tonga Treats, batiks and I have no idea what we are making. I am on Clue 7, there are usually about 20 to 25 clues before we get done!

Nancy

Never heard of a Mystery Quilt before your post today. I looked up mystery quilts. That sounds very interesting and fun! I'm looking forward to seeing yours. I also understand your apprehension to quilting on the treadle since it take some time getting comfortable treadling. It is good to start with a simple design. Have fun on your project.

BoJangles 11-04-2010 05:02 PM

Never heard of a Mystery Quilt before your post today. I looked up mystery quilts. That sounds very interesting and fun! I'm looking forward to seeing yours. I also understand your apprehension to quilting on the treadle since it take some time getting comfortable treadling. It is good to start with a simple design. Have fun on your project.

I love doing Mystery Quilts. Lots of people don't like not knowing what they are making -- I think it is fun. This is my 4th Mystery Quilt -- loved the first 3 -- I gave them all away as gifts. The gal that does this class used to manage a quilt store near me. She moved to Cape Cod after inheriting a cranberry farm there -- from Folsom, CA! Anyway, she had quite a following with the Mystery Quilt Class so she is now doing it on-line. Clue # 1 is the purchase of your fabric. She only tells us how much to get of a focus fabric, light fabric, coordinating fabric, etc., we have no idea what we are making! Shirley picks a quilt pattern and breaks it down into clues. There are usually 20 to 25 clues before we are done. The quilts range in size from twin to king. I am now doing the Queen size.

Nancy

BoJangles 11-04-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Icandothat
I am looking at and considering buying a Singer 328K with several attachments. Does anyone have advice?
I love this group. Thanks for your input.

I did a little research. The 328K was made in the early 60's in Great Britain. It has cams, has medal gears not plastic. I saw two for sale: one was listed for $299, the other one for $250. The machines I saw pictured were really pretty machines. If you get one post a picture of it for all of us.

Nancy

Quiltforme 11-04-2010 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Billy look at what my mom just got me it is a treadle the base is amazing and i have not had the opportunity to touch the machine but I do have a serial number but not sure where to look it up. FR 232733 It is a white family rotarty from what i see it is common as a treadle can you point me in the right direction for finding out the age? Thank you so much

My Birthday Baby!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119294[/ATTACH]

CarrieAnne 11-04-2010 06:28 PM

Pretty machine!

BoJangles 11-04-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Hi Billy look at what my mom just got me it is a treadle the base is amazing and i have not had the opportunity to touch the machine but I do have a serial number but not sure where to look it up. FR 232733 It is a white family rotarty from what i see it is common as a treadle can you point me in the right direction for finding out the age? Thank you so much

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881KNhqLm

Here is a White Dating site. According to this site your machine was made in 1908. FR 194,001 to FR 240,853 were made in 1908.

Really neat looking machine! Congratulations!

Nancy

Quiltforme 11-04-2010 07:40 PM

Thank you! I thought it might have been!

Icandothat 11-04-2010 08:17 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by Icandothat
I am looking at and considering buying a Singer 328K with several attachments. Does anyone have advice?
I love this group. Thanks for your input.

I did a little research. The 328K was made in the early 60's in Great Britain. It has cams, has medal gears not plastic. I saw two for sale: one was listed for $299, the other one for $250. The machines I saw pictured were really pretty machines. If you get one post a picture of it for all of us.

Thanks, Nancy. I am trying to work out the logistics of going to see this machine.

Deara 11-05-2010 06:20 AM

Quiltforme, your machine is beautiful.
Have you named her yet?