Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

featherweight 11-13-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by featherweight

Here is Rockys Picture:

Wow! That could be my picture! My little "Rockette" looks exactly like your "Rocky." We even paid almost the same, but my cabinet was in very bad shape and smaller. It is so funny, these machines were only made from 1960 to 1962 yet they reflect that era so well. The cabinet feet -- mine had the same 1960's look with the little brass type feet. I got the same set of cams and feet. I just won 3 more cams and an original instruction manual on e-bay for $8.50 + shipping. These machines are so great because they are NOT computers! I love my fancy computer sewing machine, but it is so sensitive because of the computer that runs it -- ! These old machines couldn't tell if the upper thread and bobbin thread were different weights, if the needle had a tiny nick, if the bobbin was a little off -- they just sewed and sewed through anything!

Nancy

I haven't had a chance to really sew on him yet. I am going to Ca for a week so I have had to much to do. I sure will try him out when I get home. Enjoy!!! Beth

JaneK 11-13-2010 05:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello. I need the help of the many talented folks on this site! First off, I finished cleaning my 1909 Singer 66 treadle, according to Billy's tutorials and my husband refinished the cabinet. It was originally a whitewashed/painted horror, when we got it. I'll put up some pictures and ask for help in the next post. ( I'm not sure how to attach more than 3 files:)
Jane
P.S. The face plate and rear cover plate are still being polished by a friend who's a jeweler, not missing, just on vacation! Also, we did get it back together correctly. I was able to sew on it!

featherweight 11-13-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hello. I need the help of the many talented folks on this site! First off, I finished cleaning my 1909 Singer 66 treadle, according to Billy's tutorials and my husband refinished the cabinet. It was originally a whitewashed/painted horror, when we got it. I'll put up some pictures and ask for help in the next post. ( I'm not sure how to attach more than 3 files:)
Jane
P.S. The face plate and rear cover plate are still being polished by a friend who's a jeweler, not missing, just on vacation! Also, we did get it back together correctly. I was able to sew on it!

It looks awesome!!!!!

JaneK 11-13-2010 05:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now for the help part. Does anyone have, or know where I can get a couple parts for my 1909 Singer 66? I need the thread take up spring, and I'm not sure if that's part of the tension spring or a separate piece. Either way I need it. Also I need the piece that feeds the thread up to the bobbin winder and the screw that goes with it.. We discovered these missing when we put the machine back together, and looked at the manual. I have included photos/illustrations of the parts I need. The photo of the bobbin thread feeder is on my 99K, it seems to be very similar. Any help is very much appreciated!!! Thanks, Jane

thread feeder up to bobbin winder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125936[/ATTACH]

thread take up spring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125937[/ATTACH]

bobbin winder thread feeder w/ screw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125938[/ATTACH]

featherweight 11-13-2010 05:35 PM

Now for the help part. Does anyone have, or know where I can get a couple parts for my 1909 Singer 66? I need the thread take up spring, and I'm not sure if that's part of the tension spring or a separate piece. Either way I need it. Also I need the piece that feeds the thread up to the bobbin winder. We discovered these missing when we put the machine back together, and looked at the manual. I have included photos/illustrations of the parts I need. The photo of the bobbin thread feeder is on my 99K, it seems to be very similar. Any help is very much appreciated!!! Thanks, Jane

Annaquilts 11-13-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I was at quilt show today. A vendor selling Singer FWs had a White that looked like my mother's 1956 model for $60. When I asked him if it worked, he said he thought so, but he hadn't spent much time on it. I detected some distain because it wasn't a Singer, but the Singers were out of my price range. Is it worth $60 if it sews well?

The only thing I hesitate about is you can't drop the feed for quilting. That's the only complaint I have with my 1974 Elna Supermatic. I can drop the feed on my old Kenmore, but that machine's tension is a nightmare.

Should I go back and look at the White tomorrow?

I think there is nothing wrong with them and they are beautiful machines that sew nice. Where I live they run $10-$45 with a cabinet and attachments. You might be better off and find one on CL.

Earleen 11-13-2010 06:51 PM

Any luck finding the manual? You can email me and let me know about what you did or did not find. Thanks

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Earleen
I have a Kenmore Model 117-959 serial #82319 looking for a manual any chance you have one. Got this cabinet and all for $10.00

I might have one in the studio I will go out and look to see for you.

Billy

BoJangles 11-13-2010 08:16 PM

Jane

Wow, that is a beautiful Lotus! Billy, Lostn51, had the take up spring for my 27, I bet he also has the bobbin winder thread guide you need too.

Nancy

Crossstitcher 11-14-2010 06:08 AM

Jane

That is one pretty machine and cabinet. You folks did a really nice job. We bought a machine and cabinet like yours a month ago and I hope it will look like yours when we get finished with it. My favorite decals are the lotus and red eye.

hazeljane 11-14-2010 07:52 AM

6 Attachment(s)
My new 15-91! this is my Christmas present from my husband. $60. on Craigslist with the cabinet. I took all of the advice I have been given and bought this 15-91. Over the phone, the woman said yes, it had some extra feet. It actually has a zig-zagger and button-holer as well as lots of extra feet. And the cabinet is in amazing condition.

For all of you experts, what year was she made? AL 342599.

She has quite a bit of paint loss- she has been used. These pictures are exactly as I got her- she has not been cleaned up or oiled or anything yet.