Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 11-16-2010 06:49 PM

[You can either use the seam guide attachment or tape. I noticed that Purplefiend had some form of plexiglass that she uses. You can also buy one of those magnet guides from JoAnns or you could buy a new plate that has the markings on it.[/quote]

This is where I got my green plexiglass seam guide.
http://www.houstonstmercantile.com/seams-perfect.aspx

I can use it on any of my old Singers.
Sharon W.

BoJangles 11-17-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
[You can either use the seam guide attachment or tape. I noticed that Purplefiend had some form of plexiglass that she uses. You can also buy one of those magnet guides from JoAnns or you could buy a new plate that has the markings on it.

This is where I got my green plexiglass seam guide.
http://www.houstonstmercantile.com/seams-perfect.aspx

I can use it on any of my old Singers.
Sharon W.

Sharon, that is a pretty cool tool. I may have to get one, but I am going to try a 1/4" foot first that I ordered. This 'new' foot is suppose to fit on the 15-88 -- we will see!

I have my Hand Crank installed on my 15-88 (from Billy) and I am loving it! I am using the 15-88 to finish some Blocks of the Month that I am doing the 'quilt as you go' technique on! So much fun! And my stitches look really nice front and back! I am just stitching in the ditch around all the piecing, but it really looks nice -- and makes the piecing really stand out points and all!
Nancy

purplefiend 11-17-2010 03:06 PM

Nancy That's lovely! I tried quilt-as-you-go and didn't like all the sashing finishing required.
I wanna see when you're done.
Sharon W.

Miz Johnny 11-17-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
What a weird looking machine! Miz Johnny/Billy do you guys have one of these machines? If I were into repairing my leather tack, or even the cordura tack, I'd be interested in finding one of those babies!

Nancy

Not me--I have one industrial machine, and it's in my storage unit until I can empty the basement out enough to bring it home. Besides, I don't do leather work, and don't want to make shoes!!

BoJangles 11-17-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy That's lovely! I tried quilt-as-you-go and didn't like all the sashing finishing required.
I wanna see when you're done.
Sharon W.

I know the sashing will be a pain, but we are going to do that with mono-poly thread -- so it shouldn't be too bad! I think it is going look great --but, I just think anything looks great if done on a treadle!

Nancy

BoJangles 11-17-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by BoJangles
What a weird looking machine! Miz Johnny/Billy do you guys have one of these machines? If I were into repairing my leather tack, or even the cordura tack, I'd be interested in finding one of those babies!

Nancy

Not me--I have one industrial machine, and it's in my storage unit until I can empty the basement out enough to bring it home. Besides, I don't do leather work, and don't want to make shoes!!

Miz Johnny you don't want to make shoes? Why not??? LOL!!! That would be way beyond my expertise! I will stick with quilts and the occasional halloween costume. It would be nice to be able to mend tack, though, but I am not tough enough to manuever that leather!

Nancy

Lostn51 11-17-2010 07:20 PM

Nancy I am glad you like the hand crank! It only took long enough to get there LOL!!

Billy

BoJangles 11-17-2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nancy I am glad you like the hand crank! It only took long enough to get there LOL!!

Billy

What's the old saying -- some things are worth waiting for! I love the Hand Crank! I just got done quilting another block using the hand crank and treadle. It is so much easier for me to start and stop the treadle with the hand crank -- no big ugly bunch of stitches on the back from trying to stitch a few in place stitches for tying off!

Nancy

buslady 11-18-2010 06:38 AM

Billy, I just got my hands on a 1937 201, DSIL bought it for me, only $120,000! LOL. Bought a pc of property for hunting and it was in the kitchen of the old house on the property. Someone had wrapped a pc of material around the head and sewed it in place and was using it for a pin cusion. The result is a badly scratched 201. I thought this would be the perfect machine to have painted one of those beautiful metalic colors I love to see! My DS says he can do it, but I wondered if you might be interested in doing a Tute on the process, yours look so GREAT!! I'd hate to have to have you re-do his work if I wasn't happy!! Maybe you have already done one?

Lostn51 11-18-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Billy, I just got my hands on a 1937 201, DSIL bought it for me, only $120,000! LOL. Bought a pc of property for hunting and it was in the kitchen of the old house on the property. Someone had wrapped a pc of material around the head and sewed it in place and was using it for a pin cusion. The result is a badly scratched 201. I thought this would be the perfect machine to have painted one of those beautiful metalic colors I love to see! My DS says he can do it, but I wondered if you might be interested in doing a Tute on the process, yours look so GREAT!! I'd hate to have to have you re-do his work if I wasn't happy!! Maybe you have already done one?

LOL I love how you buy a machine and they give you the land for free!!

As for the tute it would be a logistical nightmare for me because of all of the different paint systems out there. I use "House of Kolor" and "PPG" and they both use different hardners, reducer/stabilizers, different methods of application there is no way I could tell you how to do it. He could do a B/C or single stage, if there are candies involved then he will have to do a base metallic unless he goes with the new B/C/C system that HOK has out now. If he knows how to paint cars then he will know what it takes to do it.

Billy