Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 01-02-2011 09:17 AM

skeetersmom, congratulations on your find. We all know you will love your "little girl". Hope your hubby is doing well.

Weedwoman 01-02-2011 09:33 AM

Got my 306k back from the repairman (had a thread jam in bobbin area) DH tried to work on it and made it worse. When I got my machine back, I am now able to sew with it using regular needles not the special ones. No alteration on bobbin case either. Just wish I hadn't spent $30.00 on the special needles but I can use them on it also but don't have to. It's sews a beauty of a stitch and it's fun to use. The little old repairman must be a miracle worker.

fabric whisperer 01-02-2011 10:57 AM

Billy, is there are "ballpark" for a FW221 in excellent condition that is a good price range? You all have me intrigued... I already have the modern machines, plus my mom's old broken machine that is an old singer touch-n-sew ... haven't had the heart to throw it away, not sure if it can be fixed, it "growls" so I think the motor is finally shot... gave my grandma's machine to SIL, I think it was a 305 (that green one?) OMG I hope she realizes what I gave her!!!

I have the new ones:
QuantumLock Serger
Husq Viking Sapphire 850
Designer 1 ESS Embroidery (issued right before SE came out)
Singer Futura CE-150 for embroidery withdrawal when Designer is in for service
Janome 1000CP Coverstitch
(dreaming for a Queen Quilter TinLizzy LA)

Now that I've got all the new toys for my daily work, I would like to look at the older ladies... I loved the ornate scrollwork on the Redeyes (I think that's what they are called?) Just don't know what's reasonable? There are 3 CL listings near me, ranging from $285 to $325. $285 says EC?

sew wishful 01-02-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I did buy some shuttles, but they are not the ones that I am using in the Davis. The shuttles I am trying to use came with the Davis, but they are not Davis shuttles. The only actual Davis shuttle I can find is for sale on the net for $45 and although, it is advertised as a Davis Vertical Feed shuttle there is a question as to whether it is actually a Davis or not. The people selling the shuttle are suppose to get back to me on whether it actually says Davis, I have a few other Boye shuttles and none of them work. I tried them all.

Does the shuttle in your Davis say Davis? I can hear you groaning right now if you have to unload that machine again! I am so sorry to ask, but I really need to know. Also, does your Davis sew if your shuttle is not a Davis?

And, I will wait until you can check with your folks about a shuttle!

Nancy

The VF happens to be in my sewing room (and I use the term loosely, as I rarely get any sewing done) and my GD is asleep in there, so it will have to wait. Especially since she's feeling better and has been acting like a 3-year-old today!!
The Boye 10 is for "Davis New Style", which would be the "modern" one that uses 15 x 1 needles. There is no shuttle listed for the old style.
I have a stash of old shuttles in addition to the 5 Boye cases, so am going to try some that look like they might work. More than once I've had someone stumped by a missing shuttle, and we've just gone through shuttle after shuttle until we find one that works. I have to think on whether or not I have any Davis-made machines in my stash; I can try those out as well. It will be a couple of days, but I will get back with you.

I've been in contact with someone about a 1914 treadle machine and it's a Davis! Thanks to this thread, I've asked many questions about the machine. Now a question or two for you all. What would you give for a Davis treadle? He tells me it has all the parts and some extras..has the Davis shuttle bobbin...the pics sent were great...machine has lots of gold decals, it's in a dark cabinet, he thought was veneer, has the old dark patina (pateena?). He only lives 45 miles from me and if I pick it up he will take $10 off the price. I'm sure thinking about it. He nor his wife have tried sewing on it, so doesn't know if it works...but said the shuttle goes back and forth when they pedal. He said it's being stored out in the garage and it's cold so he did say the belt was slipping when they tried to pedal cuz it's stiff. Any thoughts?
It has the certificate of sale and the instruction book with it.

tomilu 01-02-2011 12:50 PM

Sew on it, if possible. Then you will know for sure it works properly.

misseva 01-02-2011 02:15 PM

Hey everybody - I just picked up my FREE 1910 Singer Redeye. Go to the picture section to see her - heading Singer 1910 Redeye. Happy dance - Billy, get ready for another one. She needs a belt. This will be in addition to the Davis (I think) that will be coming soon.

Lostn51 01-02-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
Hey everybody - I just picked up my FREE 1910 Singer Redeye. Go to the picture section to see her - heading Singer 1910 Redeye. Happy dance - Billy, get ready for another one. She needs a belt. This will be in addition to the Davis (I think) that will be coming soon.

Sweet bring it on!! You know how I love working on these machines!!! I will add it to the Vintage Sewing machine Virtual Section so its easier to find.

Billy

misseva 01-02-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Sweet bring it on!! You know how I love working on these machines!!! I will add it to the Vintage Sewing machine Virtual Section so its easier to find.

Billy

Thanks Billy - for some reason how to do this escapes me. Directions anyone???

featherweight 01-02-2011 02:36 PM

I sure didn't find it...

Lostn51 01-02-2011 02:38 PM

Thanks Billy - for some reason how to do this escapes me. Directions anyone???

Here is the link to it and it will show up on your home page. I have it under manager applied topics so Sharon and I add them as we see them. If I dont add something and you guys see something that would apply just PM me and I will add it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

Billy