Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 05-14-2010 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I just read the first installment. It makes me nervous just reading it. I have three machines here to work on. I don't think I will start on my Treadle. I think I will start on the old 99 that I never intended to get working. Just for show machine sitting in my living room. If I totally hose it I won't be out much. Thanks for giving me the nerve to even think about it.

K if I can do it I know you can!!!

Now you really do not have to tear one down that far but I am very anal about getting the thing looking like it did when it left the factory. Its like these cars I build I always tear them down to the bare frame and start from there. Force of habit maybe, who knows how my little brain works at times.

But do what you feel comfortable with you do not have to taer it that far down if you do not want to.

When I do the tutorial on my 500A it will shed some light on how to clean, oil and service a machine with more mechanics and since it is newer (late 50's early 60's) you do not have to rip it down to an almost bare frame. Those machines are a lot easier to work on in my book and more fun.

Billy

Barbm 05-14-2010 05:21 AM

I read all of these and think the best values and deals are on the west coast- especially the Seattle area. Holy Cow! I see some here in PA but they are expensive. I'm looking for a treadle for $50 to learn on but I don't want a piece or garbage. Although- after reading about veneers- maybe I can do that too!

Lostn51 05-14-2010 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Yeah, I am so excited. I can not wait to get these. I hope you are starting with the treadle machine first. I do so want to get mine in top working condition. As of now I think the only thing that is not working properly is the bobbin winder.
THANK YOU SO MUCH BILLY FOR HELPING ALL OF US!!!!
Charlene

Yes I am starting with an early machine so you can get an idea as to what to do when it comes to cleaning 100yo dirt and grime from a machine.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-14-2010 05:29 AM

Billy or Charlee, is a 1975 Bernina 830 vintage or just out of range? I would like to learn to clean it myself.

Lostn51 05-14-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I read all of these and think the best values and deals are on the west coast- especially the Seattle area. Holy Cow! I see some here in PA but they are expensive. I'm looking for a treadle for $50 to learn on but I don't want a piece or garbage. Although- after reading about veneers- maybe I can do that too!

Go for the garbage!! You can repaint them if they are really bad off and they are a very common machine!!

I will paint one in a heart beat but I will do research on it first. If it is one of the common run of the mill machines like my Singer 27 or 66 that they made millions of them then that sucker is painted. Plus you saved one from the scrap heap and you can use it like you stole it with out worrying about hurting the decals.

But if it is a machine like the Jones treadle that I want to be married to, then I do not care if it has one speck of paint on it I would clean, oil and preserve the machine.

There is a fine line on when to paint it but with a little digging you can find it.

Billy

Barbm 05-14-2010 05:35 AM

sounds like I should buy every machine out there to save them from the dump. Well- that said- there's a Singer treadle sitting in a barn down the road from me- guess I'll venture up and see if I can finagle a deal. hopefully they didn't scrap it.

Lostn51 05-14-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy or Charlee, is a 1975 Bernina 830 vintage or just out of range? I would like to learn to clean it myself.

Bring that baby on!!!!

When I do the Tutorial about the later machines (my 500A will be the victim) It will cover everything you need to know about how to do the general cleaning, oiling , and tune up that these shops want to break the bank on.

You machine fits right in the cut off for the shop because after the mid 70's they started to lean towards plastic cases and circuit boards.

Billy

Lostn51 05-14-2010 05:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Barbm
sounds like I should buy every machine out there to save them from the dump. Well- that said- there's a Singer treadle sitting in a barn down the road from me- guess I'll venture up and see if I can finagle a deal. hopefully they didn't scrap it.

If it is locked up I can cover that in a tutorial also, but sometimes it takes a lot of patience for getting one unstuck. So try and steer away from the ones that are frozen for now unless its free or close to it.

This little sucker was locked up and I can not tell you how long it took me to get it working again, I also ended up breaking parts in the process of getting it unstuck. :roll:

But I showed it who its Daddy is!!!!

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-14-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
...This little sucker was locked up and I can not tell you how long it took me to get it working again, I also ended up breaking parts in the process of getting it unstuck. :roll:

Billy

Wow, rags to riches!

Lostn51 05-14-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by Lostn51
...This little sucker was locked up and I can not tell you how long it took me to get it working again, I also ended up breaking parts in the process of getting it unstuck. :roll:

Billy

Wow, rags to riches!

That machine was literally a door stop for Lord knows how many years in the New York area. It is just over 110 years old and I pretty much think it gave up on itself years ago, but with a lot of love it is back to almost where it was. :lol: :lol:

Billy