Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 01-21-2011 06:49 AM

Here is an interesting site for those of you who have a Singer 301 or are looking for a 301. I think, the 301 will be my next hunt!

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine...inger_301.html

Nancy

Has anyone bought off of Shopgoodwill.com on line, and had a machine shipped? How well did they pack the machine?

chris_quilts 01-21-2011 07:42 AM

Was just notified that mr FW from Ebay was shipped today and should arrive next week when I'm gone. Will ask DH not to open til I get home. It's being shipped Priority Mail but seller didn't answer question about how much packaging is in the box. It does have a case so hopefully it'll arrive intact. Will post pics of her when she gets here.

redpurselady 01-21-2011 08:36 AM

I have been fortunate with Ebay. I got two machines, my very first FW back in 1998 and the Red Eye pictured here on page 488 and they were extremely well packaged.

buslady 01-21-2011 09:07 AM

I would love to have a custom painted machine. Maybe this broken white FW would be a great candidate?

tomilu 01-21-2011 10:02 AM

My favorite way to ship and receive machines is Greyhound Bus Lines. Their top insurance is for $1000, so if the machine is worth more than that, you will need to ship otherwise.

Pins n' Ndls 01-21-2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
My favorite way to ship and receive machines is Greyhound Bus Lines. Their top insurance is for $1000, so if the machine is worth more than that, you will need to ship otherwise.

dumb question...do they pick up at your home?

vintagemotif 01-21-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Still working on it. I had a DUH moment the other night when I realized that I could use the fine grade (#0000) steel wool to remove rust and those burrs/rust spots that just don't want to come off. Here are some photos of before and after. Billy would have them even cleaner, but he is the pro while I'm the amateur.

Lovely! Did you use Billy's kerosene method to begin with?

No, I used WD 40, my husband has a couple of cans that he said to use since it is around. I used it and then wiped it numerous times with a clean clothe. I really hate working with harsh chemicals, both aren't healthy.

tjradj 01-21-2011 11:49 AM

Ok, I caved. I went to look at the Morse 6400 Apollo again. I was going to try to get just the machine without the cabinet, but it was screwed into the cabinet and the footpedal was converted to a knee op.
I played with it. She runs so smooth, and so quiet. I tried not to let on I was interested, too much.
It looked to be running in reverse - so the man gave me a towel to try with it, and sure enough it was going backwards. It took a bit to figure out how to disengage the reverse, but I did.
I looked at the underside - it's spotless.
The only part that shows its age is the foot pedal, and its weight.
I'll post photos when I get her out of the van tonight.
I just might have to use her for Friday Night Sew In tonight!

vintagemotif 01-21-2011 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm I doing this correctly? Here are a couple of photos of what I have encountered.
I thought I was cleaning the oil off the machine. The one area was covered with oil (top where there are numerous oiling spots). I did see the oil lift off and the black japan start to shine through. But there was only a little bit of the japan showing. I thought was I looking at metal, had the japan worn away. I would wipe this area clean and it would be cloudy again. But I continued to use the GoJo and elbow grease to clean it. I'm starting to see more of the shiny japan, but a lot of elbow grease is need for that to happen. The entire machine has this cloudy look of dirt. I'm now thinking should I just use the TR3 for this type of work. Help! In the past, the previous machines were easier to clean. I'm I cleaning the glaze off? I hope not. Billy, I'm I doing this correctly?

oily area now showing shiny japan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165043[/ATTACH]

another test area showing japan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165044[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 01-21-2011 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And then this other area on the bed has tiny bumps in the glaze. I don't want to mess with this. This is very similar to what the finished looked like on my Two Spools bed before cleaning it. I lost the glaze and the decals turned silver when I cleaned it. So, I'm afraid to even touch this area. The one photo is a shot of the upper machine, but please look at the outer edges of the bed to see the raised bumps on the glaze.Sorry that these aren't the best photos.
I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to how to handle this area too.