Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 02-04-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by janisspencer
Thank you and if you are one who prays, please remember the family in your prayers.jan

I am... and will. Blessings, comfort and peace... kim

Lostn51 02-04-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I logged into the Needlebar website and discovered most of the site is not accessible, so I logged out and left.

Hmmmm Alan or someone came on here and copied some of the things that I had said about them and gave it to him. Alan posted it on a thread I started about my Eldridge and said something to the effect that let this speak for itself. He even included some of your replies to the postings.

I told him that he is more than welcome to come over and check us out and see how our shop is. I told him that the door is always open and the welcome mat is always out. After all we are all family here and that is the feel I want the shop to have. :D

I hope he will open the doors to all of us and let us be able to help contribute and share information between us. I think if we all could go and look at what they have there we would have a better appreciation of the machines because we know the history behind them.

Billy

sharoney 02-04-2011 11:51 AM

I have a question- I recently bought a 1934 Singer 15 91 from ebay. I just love free motion quilting on this machine because it's very forgiving! But I just have it sitting on a table, and it really needs to be sitting flush in a cabinet. My question is, do most of the old sewing machine cabinets have a standard opening size, or is it going to be difficult for me to find one that fits my machine? What about just finding an old table and cutting a hole in the top?

Thanks
Sharoney

Lostn51 02-04-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I have a question- I recently bought a 1934 Singer 15 91 from ebay. I just love free motion quilting on this machine because it's very forgiving! But I just have it sitting on a table, and it really needs to be sitting flush in a cabinet. My question is, do most of the old sewing machine cabinets have a standard opening size, or is it going to be difficult for me to find one that fits my machine? What about just finding an old table and cutting a hole in the top?

Thanks
Sharoney

You need a cabinet with a 14 5/8" x 7" (+or -) with the hinge centers at 9 1/2".

Billy

luv2learn 02-04-2011 01:00 PM

Billy, re: the cleaning process, I have removed my parts, haven't cleaned w/kerosene yet, but started using the non-pumice goop on the machine. . . No matter how much or how many times I apply and wipe off, there is still a tacky/sticky feel to the finish. . . is that just because I haven't gotten through all the layers of grime yet? will it eventually be smoothe without that tackiness? Would the kerosene cut that or what? thanx luv2learn

BZ quilting 02-04-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh while I am thinking about it here is the newest "keeper" in my collection. The reason I said that was because I bought another machine yesterday that I am going to sell on here once I figure out what I am going to do with it. You know the whole repaint or leave well enough alone.

Anyway it is an Eldridge "B" and the best I can tell it was made in 1885. It can not be any later than 1886 but I have a real good friend Annie looking at a bunch of photos of the machine with the serial to help me out in getting the exact year.

Billy

Billy, maybe I am crazy, but your Eldredge doesn't have the knob either, maybe there wasn't a knob on these old machines to turn so your needle doesn't go up and down when you load a bobbin??????

Miz Johnny 02-04-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Could someone go back on page 640 and tell me about the machine I finally got a picture uploaded to.

I have one just like it that is a customers machine in the studio. Hers was badged Western Electric" but was made by National I believe. Billy

Looks like a National Model A type Rotary,

They are wonderful to sew on. I bought a National Rotary because it is the only other National I cabinet I know of that will hold the Two Spool. I intended to get rid of the National head and just put the Two Spool in that cabinet. Long story short, I sat down and sewed on it, and the rest is history.

Miz Johnny 02-04-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney

Thanks
Sharoney

The old black full-size Singers (like your 15-91) were a standard size. The cabinets are plentiful; keep looking!

quilt addict 02-04-2011 01:38 PM

Billy, your new Eldridge is going to be beautiful when you are done with it. Congratulations

Miz Johnny 02-04-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Billy, maybe I am crazy, but your Eldredge doesn't have the knob either, maybe there wasn't a knob on these old machines to turn so your needle doesn't go up and down when you load a bobbin??????

Some machines don't have a clutch knob (or stop motion screw) on the handwheel, instead there may be a lever, or sometimes they have a much smaller knob. If you can post a picture of your handwheel area, we might be able to tell you where it is, or tell us what machine you have and someone who has the same machine can tell you.