Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 02-02-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by Glenn
Kwendt, You can buy oak veneer at Lowes in a sheet large enough to cover the top. It is the right thickness to. It is resonalbly priced. Take the old veneer off sand top smooth and use contact cement to glue it down. After glueing down roll smooth with a rolling pin pressing hard. Let stand overnight before finishing. Glenn

True... I could. And that's certainly a good option. I don't believe the cabinet is oak though, too smooth a grain for it. Cherry? There's figuring in it. (See pictures) I think it's either mahogany or cherry. We'll see what we have in the next couple of days when I get around to actually stripping it. I included a close up of the topper, and large diameter crackled section.

My fault I assumed it was oak. Looks like mahogony from the grain. you would have to order veneer for this from a wood worker cat. It can be patched but I would wait until stripped to see. I have in the past painted faux grain on a damaged spot to match the rest of the wood. You can get cherry or mahogony easy enough. Glenn

blueangel 02-02-2011 07:40 PM

Billy I picked up two singers for $1. One is AD477696 and the other is 5528. Can you tell me amything about them. Both are in cabinets.

Miz Johnny 02-02-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Kim, You can see pic of the cabinet for my pathfinder. It is finished with a fumed oak stain with three coats of shellac. (page 392) I used clear shellac instead of the orange because the stain was dark enough. The finish when I got it was black with age and had been revarnished several times with some kind of dark finish that was crazed and dirty. Glenn

Glenn is this the one you've been looking for a manual for? Am I right in thinking you believe it to be a Davis? It really looks like a New Home Model N to me. . . .

luv2learn 02-02-2011 07:45 PM

kwendt,
Those little corner cabinets are so cute. . if I could find 4 of those, I could literally line the walls of a room with sewing cabinets! . . . .what a novel idea. . . . from reading here, I think a lot of us have already discovered that! ! ! ha! ha!

Kathie S. 02-02-2011 07:54 PM

What are back clamping feet? Kathie

kwendt 02-02-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Very pretty machine, but did you know that the left front leg swings out and goes under the top to help support it? If you don't do this it will break the hinges on the top. I have one and like using it because with the leg out it give you more leg room under the table.

:mrgreen:

Yes, actually. And I believe, you told me a while ago. Thanks! I tried to update one photo to mention that fact, and my computer crashed. It's taken me about 20 minutes to get back on here.... :cry:

kwendt 02-02-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
kwendt,
Those little corner cabinets are so cute. . if I could find 4 of those, I could literally line the walls of a room with sewing cabinets! . . . .what a novel idea. . . . from reading here, I think a lot of us have already discovered that! ! ! ha! ha!

Sounds aweome! Great idea!!!! Unfortunately, I have cabinets around all four walls in my sewing room now. (Well, 3 walls, the other wall has the closet doors and the room door! Just put your chair in the middle and WWWHEEEEE roll from one machine to the next! (sigh)
kim

Miz Johnny 02-02-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
OMG!!!! I went and pulled the treadle I bought last night out of the trunk and I looked in its drawers and I found the accessories. This machine has all sorts of brass feet (all with the big E for Eldridge on them) and has the key to the locks on the top and drawers. The best I can tell it was made in 1885, I know it can not be any later than 1886 because they change locations of manufacture and it says Chicago on the machine in several places.

I think this will be one of the nicest machines in my collection before its over with. Also does anyone know where I can find the dating information for the Eldridge machines? I posted on the NB but as usual I am black balled and they are ignoring me. (I will try to muster a surprised look on my face :lol: )

Billy

Is it the one with the fiddle base and the elegant irons?? They are often listed together with National machines. All it says in Charles Law's book is "1880's". Annie Kusilek probably knows more about the National machines than anyone I know. It's worth a try to ask her.

http://www.ismacs.net/national/eldre...rtisement.html

Miz Johnny 02-02-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

ROTF!!!! Glenn and Billy, you guys should 'take it on the road' as a comedy act! I'm already planning how to give away my 70s Singer desk cabinet to make room for two vintage cabinets in my sew room. But now I'll have three... ! I'll be in the doghouse, for sure. lol. What to DO!?! You know, I WILL NOT like the food in the doghouse!

At work we always say it's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission!! Besides, what can he do--divorce you?? Over too many sewing machines?? Nah, he'll get used to it. Trust me. . . . . .

kwendt 02-02-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
What are back clamping feet? Kathie

Hi Kathie. The 'back clamping' or 'side clamping' refer to how the various feet are clamped to the presser bar on your machine. There's a little screw to hold them on. Some vintage singers (the early 66-1s for example) many times used back clamping feet. The new vintage machines used side clamping. It's just how they fit onto the machine. You can't put a back clamping foot on a side clamping machine or vice versa.

See the pictures on here: http://www.raindropkites.co.uk/sewin...es/bcfeet.html