Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

tjradj 01-31-2011 09:28 PM

I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?[/quote]

Careful now. Depends what ELNA you're looking for. The lotus is lightweight, but the cute little green machines - they weigh a ton!

featherweight 01-31-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?

Careful now. Depends what ELNA you're looking for. The lotus is lightweight, but the cute little green machines - they weigh a ton![/quote]

Just get a zig zag attachment for your 301.

PunkQuilter 01-31-2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ann L

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.

I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?

The zig zag for the 301 is simply an attachment, and they are easy to find, easy to use and not expensive. Are you talking about the ELNA #1 Grasshopper ? Those are harder to find than the Singer 221, and when you do find them much of the time they are not complete. I have been looking for one, but none have met my criteria for completeness. I have also noticed that the Husq/Viking 21 which is their version of the FW is fetching higher prices as well. Give your 301 a chance--it's a terrific machine

featherweight 01-31-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter

Originally Posted by Ann L

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.

The zig zag for the 301 is simply an attachment, and they are easy to find, easy to use and not expensive. Are you talking about the ELNA #1 Grasshopper ? Those are harder to find than the Singer 221, and when you do find them much of the time they are not complete. I have been looking for one, but none have met my criteria for completeness. I have also noticed that the Husq/Viking 21 which is their version of the FW is fetching higher prices as well. Give your 301 a chance--it's a terrific machine

Have to agree with you on this!!!

tjradj 01-31-2011 09:34 PM

Oh Oh are you coming to Kansas????? I would love to have that machine, even make room in the bathroom, lol.[/quote]

I see the "bathroom humor" is carrying on. Good show!

lewlew 01-31-2011 09:36 PM

Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer[/quote]

Billy is this what you are looking for???

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/2184206554.html

PunkQuilter 01-31-2011 09:37 PM

Well.....at least there's already a seat in the bathroom-very efficient sewing!

Lostn51 01-31-2011 09:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lewlew
Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/2184206554.html[/quote]

Close but no cookie. That is a late model treadle like in the late 30's early 40's and the machine has no decals.

This is a photo of the one I really want.......

Billy

Lostn51 01-31-2011 09:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lewlew
Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/2184206554.html[/quote]

Close but no cookie. That is a late model treadle like in the late 30's early 40's and the machine has no decals.

This is a photo of the one I really want.......

Billy

tomilu 02-01-2011 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Well.....at least there's already a seat in the bathroom-very efficient sewing!

...that is until DH needs the seat, lol