Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

dnorton 11-03-2013 05:12 AM

sewbeadit - this is totally a guess on my part but in the picture it looks like there is an outer ring with a little silver tab just above the stitch length plate? Is that right or am I seeing it wrong? Can you unlock that outer ring then turn the zig zag knob then lock the outer ring again. It almost looks like the zigzag has a locking ring for the knob....hope that made sense.

miriam 11-03-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by dnorton (Post 6383883)
sewbeadit - this is totally a guess on my part but in the picture it looks like there is an outer ring with a little silver tab just above the stitch length plate? Is that right or am I seeing it wrong? Can you unlock that outer ring then turn the zig zag knob then lock the outer ring again. It almost looks like the zigzag has a locking ring for the knob....hope that made sense.

I believe you have the right idea

SteveH 11-03-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6381854)
What a coincidence! I snatched this one today. It's my second VS2 fiddle. A real beauty, and I love the fiddle bases too.

That is a beautiful machine. I hope to have one like that in the Museum someday!!

purplefiend 11-03-2013 02:08 PM

"(Manicmike) What a coincidence! I snatched this one today. It's my second VS2 fiddle. A real beauty, and I love the fiddle bases too."

Mike,
The decals on your machine are in fantastic condition! There's one of these machines at the local antique mall type store, that's not as pretty as yours; the seller wants $450 for it. The cabinet needs a lot of work too.
Sharon W.

manicmike 11-03-2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6384843)
The decals on your machine are in fantastic condition! There's one of these machines at the local antique mall type store, that's not as pretty as yours; the seller wants $450 for it.

Thanks Sharon and Steve. I knew it was a bargain too and jumped at it: It's missing a caster, the kidney plate at the back and a locking tab (made of brass, locks it at the back) but otherwise in great condition and for only $150. After the briefest of cleans and some tri-flow she's as smooth as a new one. I think my zigzaggers and buttonholers will work too! Makes this machine not just a pretty face but a usable pretty face :thumbup:
Took the kidney plate from my other VS2 (which is just plain black, since I just finished painting it). Now have to match up the decals by painting them on! Oh what fun.

Jeanette Frantz 11-03-2013 08:47 PM

Redsquirrel,

Your 99 is in very good condition! The decals appear to be totally intact! Congratulations! She's a beauty!

Jeanette Frantz

sewbeadit 11-04-2013 03:17 AM

Hi dnorton, thank you for answering. There is a little silver tab there and I tried using it and all it does is flop. I can turn the knob but the silver thing just flops, so if I hold the knob with my hand I get a zig zag and I was wondering if that is what that silver thing was supposed to do. What gets me is I bought this machine as a reconditioned machine. Right now I need to find another belt for it because the belt broke. So won't be sewing with it for a while. I was happy with the way it did sew but not happy finding out it doesn't work properly!

HelenAnn 11-04-2013 03:36 AM

Beautiful, I got to see a museum in former East Germany that switched from making guns to sewing machines. Regretably it was before I knew how much I liked the old girls.

miriam 11-04-2013 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 6385631)
Hi dnorton, thank you for answering. There is a little silver tab there and I tried using it and all it does is flop. I can turn the knob but the silver thing just flops, so if I hold the knob with my hand I get a zig zag and I was wondering if that is what that silver thing was supposed to do. What gets me is I bought this machine as a reconditioned machine. Right now I need to find another belt for it because the belt broke. So won't be sewing with it for a while. I was happy with the way it did sew but not happy finding out it doesn't work properly!

If you bought it as reconditioned you should be able to take it back and have them either fix it or show you how it works. Likely, you have to pay for parts like the belt.

oldsewnsew 11-04-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 6385631)

I have one machine that similarly mistified me, found that you actually need to either push or pull the knob at the setting you're wanting. maybe?