Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

BoJangles 12-29-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5748931)
actually it is a shuttle and bobbin machine that makes a lockstitch. I am just missing them.... (pout)

Darn!

Nancy

SteveH 12-29-2012 10:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here is a before and after of the back of the tensioner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384775[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384776[/ATTACH]

So inside that hidden screw was a brass spring and a small plate.
That whole assembly presses against the fabric in a slot with bottom "groove"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]384777[/ATTACH]

The slot was filled prior to cleaning.

nanna-up-north 12-30-2012 05:23 AM

Judy, the cabinet looks amazing. I wouldn't want to do anything if I had one in that good condition.

Steve.... Your project looks like a lot of work to me. I'm impressed!

JudyTheSewer 12-30-2012 11:33 AM

Nancy, the thing I know about the 115 is that it is a vertical rotary design. The decals are very nice on this machine
but there is a lot of crazing to the finish.

nanna-up-north, The cabinet doesn't look as nice as the picture shows. It is not in bad condition at all since there
is no peeling of the veneer or anything. However, there is surface wear and discoloring and it is also very dry.
I'm not complaining though, I really like the cabinet.

BoJangles 12-31-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5750206)
Nancy, the thing I know about the 115 is that it is a vertical rotary design. The decals are very nice on this machine
but there is a lot of crazing to the finish.

nanna-up-north, The cabinet doesn't look as nice as the picture shows. It is not in bad condition at all since there
is no peeling of the veneer or anything. However, there is surface wear and discoloring and it is also very dry.
I'm not complaining though, I really like the cabinet.

You know, I'd be thrilled to find a cabinet in that good of shape with any treadle machine! I seem to find the ones that need veneer and refinishing! You are one lucky gal!

Nancy

miriam 12-31-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5751975)
You know, I'd be thrilled to find a cabinet in that good of shape with any treadle machine! I seem to find the ones that need veneer and refinishing! You are one lucky gal!

Nancy

I think you are on to something Nancy.

sdudash 12-31-2012 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I am new here and have to say that I found this site while looking for information on my latest find. I collect antiques. I found this Standard treadle machine in a consignment store. I have not found much information on this one, yet. She is similar to Hollyann beautiful machine, but appears to be a newer model. The bobbin cover has multiple patent dates. Earliest one is 1889 with the latest being 1910. The machine I have has been made after that as it states Patent Applied for on the plate as well as on the inside decal. If anyone has more information I would be greatly appreciative.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]385155[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385156[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385157[/ATTACH]

mindless 01-01-2013 02:09 AM

I've been wandering thru the pics on this thread for a couple of days now, & I have to say....there are SO many machines that I never knew I just have to have! You all have some nice machines! But I have 8 already. There's always room for one more tho....right?
how about this one? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/3511349800.html some of you just might get a kick out of it
Steve, your project looks like so much work! but interesting & fun too.

SteveH 01-01-2013 07:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Work = Fun (I'm Swedish and "Scotch-Irish" and the Cochrane clan side of me has a moto "Virtu et labor" (virtue through labor)

I have finished the teardown. Yeach... I despise rust...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385298[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385299[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385301[/ATTACH]

It NEVER ceases to amaze me how cast iron cleans up.

The cleaned main body you see here is 140-145 years old....

miriam 01-02-2013 01:37 AM

WOW! Now that was quick! Will it sew??? I get amazed by the old sewing machines, too. They were made to last.