Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Warning: Not Vintage, but the Weird Machine has arrived. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/warning-not-vintage-but-weird-machine-has-arrived-t218364.html)

J Miller 04-11-2013 05:19 AM

Same thing my wife said. Cracks all over the cast parts. They were truthfully second rate parts. I'm wondering if the Necchi version has better quality inside?

Joe

J Miller 04-11-2013 10:50 AM

Been doing some reading about this motor. From what I've read, the manufacturers consider it a disposable motor. There is a comment in the manual about replacing it ( the whole motor ) if any corrosion shows on any of the commutator slats. No mention of cleaning it, just toss it and put in a new one.

Ugh, now I need to find one. Sears doesn't have them any more, so where to start looking?

Joe

Candace 04-11-2013 11:29 AM

I suspect this is why you don't see any of them working in the wild, Joe. ;>

J Miller 04-11-2013 12:43 PM

You could be right Candace. I've got a lot of searching to do before I give up.

But .... it's a high shank machine and it has all of it's feet and attachments. So even if it's not fixable, I'm still ahead.

Joe

MimiBug123 04-11-2013 12:51 PM

Looks like Kitty thinks it's interesting, as well!

miriam 04-11-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5994009)
You could be right Candace. I've got a lot of searching to do before I give up.

But .... it's a high shank machine and it has all of it's feet and attachments. So even if it's not fixable, I'm still ahead.

Joe

Joe, can you turn it into a hand crank machine?

J Miller 04-11-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5994027)
Joe, can you turn it into a hand crank machine?

Nope, computerized, electronically controlled everything.

Joe

miriam 04-11-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5994173)
Nope, computerized, electronically controlled everything.

Joe

You know you are learning a lot... Chalk it up to education. I wonder if a motor out of a different Kenmore will mount.

Tink's Mom 04-11-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5993052)
Same thing my wife said. Cracks all over the cast parts. They were truthfully second rate parts. I'm wondering if the Necchi version has better quality inside?

Joe

Joe, I wonder if this machine was dropped or banged. It doesn't take much on computerized machines to mess them up.
I'm sure the Necchi has better insides...Sears used to set a price that they would pay for a particular machine...the manufacturer then had to cheapen the parts to make the machine within those prices.
Good Luck, Susie

J Miller 04-11-2013 03:19 PM

Susie,

There is no evidence of the machine having been dropped or abused. It's clean, complete, and almost pristine internally. But the lady I got it from told me the lady she got it from ( actually her heirs ) had used it extensively for making ice skating costumes and other things. So although complete and in nice shape, it's well used.

I'm going to look for a Necchi motor as well as the Kenmore version. Who knows, I might get lucky.

Joe