Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Wheeler & Wilson9/Singer 9W Serials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/wheeler-wilson9-singer-9w-serials-t186338.html)

CrystalC 02-28-2017 09:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a Singer 9W7, serial #3180035. It uses the Featherweight style bobbin, and has a standard full-size Singer bed so it fits in my cabinet #2. I'm sorry the last two photos are rotated funny.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569158[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]569159[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]569160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]569161[/ATTACH]

bkberries 07-31-2017 07:10 AM

Hello all! I was gifted a lovely old girl, serial number W45511, that I believe to be a D9. She is in a beautiful 7 drawer cabinet #6. The machine is intact and came with a bunch of attachments. She's not froze up, but doesn't move freely yet, as I just brought her home this morning. A good long drink of oil and a thorough gentle cleaning is the next order of business. Lots of rust to deal with. Do any of you have any idea how to date her? (Not talking about a bottle of wine and roses, lol!) I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do this from my phone! Many thanks in advance!

bkay 07-31-2017 09:40 AM

Ask over on victoriansweatshop.com. I think there are more treadle lovers over there (there is some overlap as well).

bk

OurWorkbench 08-01-2017 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by bkberries (Post 7876117)
Hello all! I was gifted a lovely old girl, serial number W45511, ....

Do any of you have any idea how to date her? (Not talking about a bottle of wine and roses, lol!) I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do this from my phone! Many thanks in advance!

It appears, as indicated by the first post of this thread (on previous page) and SteveH's post above & quoted below, that these are difficult to date. You might also want to check http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Wheeler_&_Wilson

It appears that the Yahoo group that SteveH has referenced has moved per https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...-Machines/info

tohttps://groups.io/g/Wheeler_and_Wilson-Sewing-Machines

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6766564)
Unfortunately dating by serial number is NOT an option on the Wheeler & Wilsons. The EARLIER curved needle versions there is an approximate chart based on the production numbers published, but W&W lost a LOT of records in a fire and the rest Singer thrashed when they bought them in 1905. I strongly recommend joining the W&W Yahoo group. They are compiling known machines serial numbers with receipts. Manuals are available for free as well

Have fun getting 'her' running smoothly.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

VWelsh 04-20-2019 05:28 PM

Hi I'm a newbie and couldn't believe I saw your post first! I was recently gifted my hubby's grandmother's Singer 9W7. It's serial number is 3140621. It's a mess as it was stored in a basement for at least the last 45 years! The cabinet is in a really bad shape. Working on cleaning up the machine though. Everything moves with no problem; just a LOT of rust and grime. It had one of the donut-shaped bobbins with it and one, rusty needle in it. Any idea where I can get some of each??? Thanks!

skaduzy 04-20-2019 06:06 PM

Don't know about bobbins but the first needles I bought were from eBay and came from Australia or New Zealand. Expensive! Since then the gentleman who owns the shop I go to dropped something down in the needle holder so I could use regular Schmetz needles. I also got a belt there but unfortunately I've never put the belt on OR sewed with it. Shame on me because I am 75 now but can still remember sitting on Gramma's lap while she was sewing on this machine. My goal is to make a lap quilt on it. :thumbup: I think I better hurry! :D

Originally Posted by VWelsh (Post 8243069)
Hi I'm a newbie and couldn't believe I saw your post first! I was recently gifted my hubby's grandmother's Singer 9W7. It's serial number is 3140621. It's a mess as it was stored in a basement for at least the last 45 years! The cabinet is in a really bad shape. Working on cleaning up the machine though. Everything moves with no problem; just a LOT of rust and grime. It had one of the donut-shaped bobbins with it and one, rusty needle in it. Any idea where I can get some of each??? Thanks!

leonf 04-21-2019 06:25 AM

vwelsh, Can't help you with the bits, but I do know where a beautiful tradle base is for sale in Kansas USA.
Welcome aboard.

blazingmist 09-19-2021 03:01 PM

I just bought a wheeler and wilson with serial number 338846. Trying to determine its year. Say w9 but I also have the same version of machine when Singer bought them. And with its serial number it dates 1879. I am getting conflicting information with the 2 because it just doesn't match up. Any idea's.

skaduzy 09-19-2021 04:15 PM

W & w

I have my gramma’s Wheeler & Wilson. My serial number is 244118. There are several patent dates on the throat plate, first one is August 2, 1878 and the last one is March 25, 1890. My machine was made in the 1890’s (after the last date) in Bridgeport CT where the W & W factory was. I think Singer bought them out around 1905 but continued selling W & W until 1908.

blazingmist 09-19-2021 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy (Post 8508616)
I have my gramma’s Wheeler & Wilson. My serial number is 244118. There are several patent dates on the throat plate, first one is August 2, 1878 and the last one is March 25, 1890. My machine was made in the 1890’s (after the last date) in Bridgeport CT where the W & W factory was. I think Singer bought them out around 1905 but continued selling W & W until 1908.

I understand but what is conflicting is my singer with its serial number on its data base says its 1879. And I know W & W both died and singer bought them out. So the serial number data base has to be wrong. Or something somewhere is wrong.