Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
PROBLEMS with new to me Elna supermatic >

PROBLEMS with new to me Elna supermatic

PROBLEMS with new to me Elna supermatic

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

PM me for which cams you would like to have--for some strange reason, I have a bunch of Elna cams and probably will never use them. I know you have to have the single ones, but I'm sure I have a bunch of those too.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM

Is there a portion of the pin that isn't damaged that you could take a measurement off of with a set of calipers? That's what I'd do. I don't have any Elnas here anymore to check for you. Sorry about that.

ETA: You're right, the replacement doesn't come with a pin. It's possible though that if you order from Ray White that he may have one?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:14 AM

Thanks Tammi...I don't have a set if calipers, but I saved the pin to compare and another board has mentioned that it is probably a 12mm pin...I have emailed Mr. Ray, and am awaiting his response...this board is WONDERFUL...I knew nothing about Elna Supermatic 10 days ago, and now my head if FULL of new information. Love to learn about new (old) machines. Feeling blessed.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
Thanks Tammi...I don't have a set if calipers, but I saved the pin to compare and another board has mentioned that it is probably a 12mm pin...I have emailed Mr. Ray, and am awaiting his response...this board is WONDERFUL...I knew nothing about Elna Supermatic 10 days ago, and now my head if FULL of new information. Love to learn about new (old) machines. Feeling blessed.
Actually have been told by some other people on the Elna board that it is a 2mm pin..
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Calipers are very handy for fixing vintage machines, especially when it comes to sourcing replacement parts. Harbor Freight should have those too.

2mm makes more sense. 12mm is almost 1/2" - 25.4mm =1"
Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 AM

This post a is few months old, but I found it and would love to hear how the machine worked out. I have a Supermatic a few years older than yours csharp (identical but the tan/beige color). I have been oiling and cleaning for over a week now and the mechanism runs smootly. They rubber pulley not so smoothly, at least on top speeds. Nothing very bad, and I can't really detect any bumps or flats in the old rubber friciton wheel. I'm not quite sure what to do next, rubber from Ray White, or have a metal shop make me a metal pulley and buy a set of O-rings.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 PM

I did order the rubber pulley from the guy, Ray, as mentioned and got the Pin needed from someone on the Elna board, and had a really hard time installing it and finally used the old pin to secure it and ordered cams off of
Ebay to finish off the machine. Really didn't know how to work everything but managed to download enough of a manual to get the gist of it all and it sews very nice. I make sure the hand wheel is loose, when not sewing, so I don't have to replace that part again in my lifetime. I did not rent the installation mechanism he recommended, and should have, and had to buy special spreader pliers to remove the washer on the hand wheel to get to the pulley part. Probably will never use them ever again, but I have them now. You could immediately see that there was a big flat spot on the rubber part when I was able to get to that area. Now all is well, and I'm happy to have my mom's machine.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 AM

I bough those special nosetip pliers too, I didn't wan't to damage the clip. I have had the handwheel off and cleaned behind there. The rubber wheel looks fine on my machine for some reason, but maybe it's a bit old and dry. I have no idea when it was last replaced if it ever was. With all the talk about bad rubber quality I'm a bit usure if it's best to keep the old one, or get Ray White's rubber part. There's no point in replacing a part with something worse than the original? The machine has cleaned up very nicely lyckily, runs fine. It took a few attempts to clean up old oil that had seeped out in joints and cracks in the body.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:00 PM

I saw the wheels on Sew-Classic.com after I purchased one elsewhere, darn it. Hers were a lot cheaper. Jenny can probably say whether they fit the Supermatic or not.