Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about hesitation in FW? >

Question about hesitation in FW?

Question about hesitation in FW?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Do the foot control plug ins match? If so swap one from the other machine and see if it does better. You can get new cords from sew-classic - she has a tutorial how to change one out and she has foot controls already assembled.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM

You either have a belt that is slightly too loose, or you have a contact issue inside the footpedal both are easy to fix. Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM

When you finish a line of stitching is the bar up that the thread runs through. If I stop it with the bar anywhere but at the top, the machine hesitates. This also causes the thread to mess up. There may be nothing wrong with the machine.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM

I started using the needle up/needle down method and no more problems with thread breaking. Still have to take pedal apart to see if there is any trouble there. Been sidetracked and not sewing last day or 2!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I started using the needle up/needle down method and no more problems with thread breaking. Still have to take pedal apart to see if there is any trouble there. Been sidetracked and not sewing last day or 2!
Check your tension settings with the presser foot UP, the thread should move through with a little resistance ifit pulls hard the tensions are probably too tight and need to be loosened. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey! ALWAYS start sewing with the needle down it eases strain on the motor. I assume that is what you are referring to with needle up/needle down.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Default nanasmom problem?

I took my machine in today to get that little screw replaced since I dropped it and LOST it. It is so tiny....... He tipped the machine over and there was a opening where you could see in behind all that bobbin space. If there is one thread in there he said to take a good pair of twizzers and pull the thread out by un winding it. That way you wouldn't have to take the screw out.....Good luck
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks, again, everyone, I (well my grandson) finally got the screw out and back in (whew...what a job) but some how the needle hits the bobbin and/or base when I turn the wheel. It seems I can't get the bobbin plate and the bobbin base to line up properly and I've tried every position I can. I guess I've messed up something and will need to take it in the repair shop. Luckily, there is a repair person about 10 minutes from me who's worked on machines for over 30 years and LOVES vintage machines. He learned from his dad who worked on machines for over 50 years. Hopefully, he won't charge me too much to re-set the bobbin gib/base.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

I think it's a problem with the foot controller. You can make an adjustment. If you join the Yahoo Vintage Singer Machines Group, you will find a lot of info there.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Thanks, again, everyone, I (well my grandson) finally got the screw out and back in (whew...what a job) but some how the needle hits the bobbin and/or base when I turn the wheel. It seems I can't get the bobbin plate and the bobbin base to line up properly and I've tried every position I can. I guess I've messed up something and will need to take it in the repair shop. Luckily, there is a repair person about 10 minutes from me who's worked on machines for over 30 years and LOVES vintage machines. He learned from his dad who worked on machines for over 50 years. Hopefully, he won't charge me too much to re-set the bobbin gib/base.
It sounds like whenyou put it back together you did not get the bobbin case re aligned with the hook. Difficult to help with out seeing it. Hope you can get it working again.