Question about a Singer 319W

Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Question about a Singer 319W

I have two of these beauties one of which I picked up yesterday. I want to swap out the decorator stitch keys unit. The newer one has a beautiful chrome key set and chrome in other places on the machine and the other older serial number machine is green paint over a black material and the paint is flaking off and has painted green pieces instead of chrome.

I have tried several different ways to remove it. I removed the little plate over the back of the keys and it just revealed teeny springs going to the keys so I very carefully put that back.

If anyone has removed one of these would you mind sharing how you did it?

Here is a picture of the large part with the number on it.
Attached Thumbnails 319w-001.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Miriam tore one down it here. The yahoo group has a pdf of the adjuster's manual in four parts, which describes the removal in great detail: I think it's what I used.
From memory I think the hard bit was removing the rear screw (the one in that threaded hole).
Old 09-07-2014, 01:39 PM

THANK YOU! Exactly what I needed. Well, that didn't help because she didn't remove the stitch keys so still looking for anyone that has. Hubby is working on it now and I think he is removing pins to get it out.

I will check back in a couple of hours or so.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 09-07-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Hubby was able to do it. He said it wasn't hard just had to be careful taking the pin out and putting it back in.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM

I take it you're chroming out the green one then? Make sure you post some after shots. I know I want to see it. A 319 is very much on my want list. I've already passed on a couple 306s because I know I don't have room for both.
Rodney
Old 09-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Hubby was able to do it. He said it wasn't hard just had to be careful taking the pin out and putting it back in.
The one inside the threaded hole is the one that's usually stuck. I seem to come across these machines more often than most: I think they like me
Be careful driving out the pin. You don't want to damage it.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Thanks guys, I will post some pics of both machines. One was in a table and has a knee control that I love but the other I removed from the table ( left it with the seller yesterday because it was junk) and it has the nice matching green foot control.

DH did a beautiful job, he always does. We were not sure we wanted to tackle the keys without any help but he did great!

I swapped out everything painted on the one machine for all of the chrome pieces I could find on the other machine and had to add a few chrome screws it was missing. I also swapped out two badly broken parts and parts that were heavily paint chipped. Now Lady Astor looks almost new. The older machine had the chrome parts.

The only thing I want to still do is find a way to make the knee control electronic. The foot control is the pretty green one and works great but I love how the knee control fits in this cabinet and it sits perfectly positioned for my knee.

The 319W has tons of oil holes and when oiling for the first time it takes awhile to get them all done. The cleated belt on the one I am keeping set up in the house ( Lady Astor) is a little frayed in spots but I think it will last. I will buy these machines any time I come across one reasonably priced. They are just hecka cool. It is easy to find the cams because they are the flat ones that fit so many of the other singers. 29 cams in the set for the 319W I read somewhere today. I think the black one might look very nice with lots of chrome.

I hope you can find one soon Rodney.

I really had to do some traveling. I drove 9 hours yesterday on 299 ( a horrible scary dangerous but scenic mountain road) just to buy Lady Astor over on the coast in Arcata. She was listed as excellent condition...good condition was more like it and on my way home I picked up two more neat machines for 12.00 each. So it was a nice day for sewing machine buys. Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails 319w-001.jpg   319w-012.jpg   319w-011.jpg   319w-004.jpg   319w-017.jpg  

319w-016.jpg   319w-018.jpg   319w-022.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM

more pictures of the machines. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pics were of parts replaced with much better ones. Pictures one and two in the first pics above show a chrome plate and a painted plate behind the largest dial knob. All of the badly chipped paint parts pictured below were replaced too. Now she looks beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails 319w-015.jpg   319w-010.jpg   319w-013.jpg   319w-023.jpg   319w-024.jpg  

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 09-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

If you look up under the cabinet with the knee control, it's likely that it's the same button controller in a bracket with the lever mounted next to it. The controller pops out of the bracket for floor use.

Cari
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Thanks Cari. I am familiar with most type of controls but this one is the first one I have come across like it. Hubby took it apart to see if it was electronic or resistance type and tried to fix the contacts. It works good now but I would still like an electronic one.
Attached Thumbnails img_5878.jpg   img_5879.jpg