Question on motor power

Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Default Question on motor power

I do not know much about the power part of the machine except what the motors state on them. I know with autos lots of parts go into making the overall horsepower of a car but if I were to put a larger amp motor on a sewing machine would it run stronger or just faster or? What exactly would it do to it?

The current motor says 0.53 amps. I have several 1.3 amp motors in my parts storage saved from japanese clones. I would like to sew drapes for the whole house with the 0.53 motor Singer 319W2 but it is going to be a big job with lots of sewing time and medium heavy material. Would the 1.3 motor help, harm or do nothing? Wish I was more mechanically inclined.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
if I were to put a larger amp motor on a sewing machine would it run stronger or just faster or? What exactly would it do to it?
Excellent question. Increased power in a motor can result in either stronger, faster or both. If the replacement is much faster you can slow it down with a smaller drive pulley, which would also make it stronger. If you run the motors with no drive belt it should be obvious what it will do.
I think that my clones are rated as more powerful too, but they aren't obviously faster than the Singer motors, so stronger would be my expectation.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM

SunflowerZZ,

Besides the motor, the motor pully, the size and weight of the hand wheel will make a big difference in how a machine sews.
A larger amp motor won't necessarily make it sew better. I've switched a bunch of them around and they all sew about the same. You can try it on your machine and then tell us what happened.

I do know that my wife's 319 sews through multiple layers of denim without a problem. And it's box stock.

Joe
Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys, I think it will be a little experiment I will try once I get her up and running just to see what does happen. I have a very curious mind and love experiments of this nature. I will save this thread and report back later on with my findings.