Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilt same as on Walton’s Show? >

Quilt same as on Walton’s Show?

Quilt same as on Walton’s Show?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Default Quilt same as on Walton’s Show?

Hello Quilters,
I’m looking for information on a quilt I found tossed away, obviously vintage, but I realized the same quilt also appears on The Walton’s TV series!! I’m absolutely sure of this because I have pics of both mine and there’s.
The quilt is a one piece, broad cloth quilt, same exact print to the Tee as Walton’s! But mine has slightly different colors (aquas) than the Walton’s quilt.
Does this mean I have a quilt that was made in or before the 1930’s 1940s, the date the show is depicting?
I’d love to know more about the quilt I have, but haven’t found info any where. I’m hopeful, since finding this forum, to learn something here.
I’d love advice about how to repair the quilt as it has some severe wear in the usual areas, where it was folded the most. Some areas have such thinning of fabric that some 2” x 8” areas are just gone.☹️ And where the quilting stitching is compromised, the batting seems to shift and lump together as if it is loose cotton rather than the stay together batting I use today. I have no idea how the quilt was batted back then and fear some areas may be impossible to fix. Perhaps if I could learn about vintage batting, like wether it is or isn’t one strong piece that stays together, then I can make better decisions on wether to replace the batting or not. But that’s a big job! And quite honestly, the batting is so yummy that I’d rather not replace it as long as it stays put by the stitches that are still there and the repair stitches I will sew in to sandwhich it which I can do when repairing.
I will research repair options and consider wether I may have to repair it as a smaller quilt, but that would be sad. But smaller would be better then scrapping the treasure altogether. I probably can never find the fabric to fix it with but I’m not against or unable to find fabrics close enough in color scheme to atleast have myself a finished quilt I can use and love on! 😍

I’d like to mention I have another post about another quilt treasure I recently found, because their similarities and info may help others know what I have and what to do for them. The other quilt is also a one piece top, printed same design on both sides, same era looking, same possible thread fabric as they both seem to have easy thinning. The tag reads, “Colonial Quilt Company” but I’ve found no info on this company except one of these quilts for sale on EBay.
But this quilt (Walton’s) is much better quality than the one I talk about on my other post that has specks in the batting. My feeling is, my grandmother probably bought this other quilt as a close-out due to the defects in it that I can see. And that makes sense given that she survived the Great Depression and afterwards always saved money anywhere she could including buying defect items.
i hope this all makes sense and I hope I can put pics up of the quilts so you can see what I’m saying.
****If I can post pics, the Walton’s-like quilt I have has aqua colors in it. The Walton’s quilt pics are obvious because the pics are from the show, and colors slightly different. The tag and pink quilt is the quilt from the same company that I found on a woman’s listing on EBay (my tag got washed out after first wash!).
Thank you for any help you can offer. I’m so glad I found this forum. ❤️👍🏼😁

Well, I can’t figure out how to post pics but I will come back and edit once I get help from moderators

Old 10-05-2020, 04:34 AM

I think you would get better response if you get one of the moderators to move this post to the "Main" forum.

This is the forum for vintage sewing machines, so it will not be seen by anyone who does not frequent this particular part of Quiltingboard.com.

bk
Old 10-06-2020, 09:37 PM

Default How do I ask moderators to move my message to correct category?

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I think you would get better response if you get one of the moderators to move this post to the "Main" forum.

This is the forum for vintage sewing machines, so it will not be seen by anyone who does not frequent this particular part of Quiltingboard.com.

bk
Oh my! I am a newbie for sure!

Thank you for your kind response and making me aware. I will certainly ask them.

by the way... how do I do that? 😂

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by CheriByGrace; 10-06-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: I forgot to ask for help on how to ask for help. Lol
Old 10-07-2020, 05:02 AM

At the bottom of most any page is a section that lists moderators. I would click on quiltingnan (I may be misspelling it, but you will recognize her). Ask her to move the post to the main section. To make it easy for her, give her the url of your post.

Once it's moved, add a photo of your quilt in a reply to your post, so others will know what you are asking about. If people can see what the quilt looks like, they may be able to help. I never watched the Waltons, so don't have a clue.

bk
Old 10-07-2020, 05:50 AM

Welcome, CheriByGrace. I don't think QuiltnNan has been on since mid-August.

You might try clicking on the little red triangle with an exclamation point in it at the left of the screen next to the post. I know it says to "Report :Post" but I have read that it can be used to have it changed. It seems like I have done something like that before. It will open a screen that you can type in. You could try something like:As far as pictures go, my usual response is:
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing iimages at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Additionally, when I have tried to "insert" pictures, it will take a while even if it is just one picture, after clicking on the paperclip icon. (This is after you have hit the "Upload" button and closed that window.) You will see the "busy" icon at the top of the page or tab spinning for a while before it list the pictures that it will attach or insert.

Since you have an iPad, I'm not sure how to reduce images. There is a Sticky in the Help section Mobile Users ... Please Help Each Other Using This Thread and post #8 by AprilM that seemed to help thimblebug6000 with an ipad at post #17

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-07-2020 at 05:59 AM. Reason: clarification, I hope
Old 10-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Ok I've read your posts in both this thread and the other thread you started. I was hoping you'd be able to post pictures. My sense, without seeing the quilt, is that it was a mass-produced item made overseas, and probably doesn't have much in the way of an appraised value. However, if you'd like confirmation, you can always have it appraised. You can find a list of certified quilt appraisers here:
http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt...appraisers.php

Here is a pic of a "Walton" quilt I found on the internet, is the one you're talking about?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/fe...1fd33a9b96.jpg

The show was set in the 40's, but that doesn't mean that's when the quilt was made. We don't know how accurate the set designer was when they designed and created the set. Your best bet, again, is to have the quilt looked at.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Welcome, CheriByGrace. I don't think QuiltnNan has been on since mid-August.

You might try clicking on the little red triangle with an exclamation point in it at the left of the screen next to the post. I know it says to "Report :Post" but I have read that it can be used to have it changed. It seems like I have done something like that before. It will open a screen that you can type in. You could try something like:As far as pictures go, my usual response is:
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing iimages at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Additionally, when I have tried to "insert" pictures, it will take a while even if it is just one picture, after clicking on the paperclip icon. (This is after you have hit the "Upload" button and closed that window.) You will see the "busy" icon at the top of the page or tab spinning for a while before it list the pictures that it will attach or insert.

Since you have an iPad, I'm not sure how to reduce images. There is a Sticky in the Help section Mobile Users ... Please Help Each Other Using This Thread and post #8 by AprilM that seemed to help thimblebug6000 with an ipad at post #17

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Oh my! I am so new at forums and have a LOT to learn!!

I can’t thank you enough for all the instruction and explanations! So appreciate this! I don’t even know how to find a URL. Ugh.
But if there’s one thing to motivate me to learn new stuff, it’s QUILTING! 👍🏼😁

Thanks again! Means so much. And I bet lots of other ppl will benefit from your shared experience too.

Truly, CheriByGrace
Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ok I've read your posts in both this thread and the other thread you started. I was hoping you'd be able to post pictures. My sense, without seeing the quilt, is that it was a mass-produced item made overseas, and probably doesn't have much in the way of an appraised value. However, if you'd like confirmation, you can always have it appraised. You can find a list of certified quilt appraisers here:
http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt...appraisers.php

Here is a pic of a "Walton" quilt I found on the internet, is the one you're talking about?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/fe...1fd33a9b96.jpg

The show was set in the 40's, but that doesn't mean that's when the quilt was made. We don't know how accurate the set designer was when they designed and created the set. Your best bet, again, is to have the quilt looked at.
Thank you so much!!

No, this is not the quilt I’m referring to. But thank you for trying.
the pic you found, as I mention in my post, is the quilt that comes up when one searches Walton Quilt because the there is a SHOW called, “The Quilt”. So I completely understand why you got to this reference.

The quilt I am asking help with is on the show many times, but a pic can be seen from Season 3, episode called “The Spoilers”. https://waltons.steve-p.org/seas3.php#01confl
hey! I just went to the site I got my pics from which shows illustrated pics of each episode and lists EVERY episode! Hopefully I figured out how to copy and paste a link and it will work. ! I sure hope so.

Anyway, if you can see this pic from the link, its the pic on the right, girl laying on the bed/quilt. It’s a great photo and shows much of the quilt/bedspread, whatever it is, behind her. So happy to have found reference to compare.

originally I screenshot it from same website, then went back to my photos and edited it, zooming in. It is the same quilt for sure. Their’s is mainly red and blue colors while mine has yellows and aquas.

But I still have the problem of posting the pics of the quilt *I have. Unless persons can just picture the same exact one piece printed on both sides item, but more yellow and aqua. It’s really quite beautiful whatever it is.
And you may be right. The set people may have bought this new, from this Colonial Quilt Company, and thought it looked fitting for the show. ? That would mean I have a beautiful but much worn quilt, factory made, from the 70s? 80s?
I’m guessing that’s who made it from the similarities to the one I recently found in my late grandmother’s house which is brand new in the package with tag perfectly readable until I washed the quilt.

I tried again today to attach pics by following another very kind member who responded and told me the steps to take to upload a photo, but I still got this message...
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administratorand describe the action you performed before you received this error.”

I tapped, “Inform the admin” and it said it was sent, so let’s hope 🙏🏼 , but then gave another error code. Ugh!

I’m a very private person as far as my settings on my iPad, so maybe I need to change a setting?

I know that pics would be the key here. I guess I have a lot to learn about forums and attachments and maybe shouldn’t post until I know how to attach pics.

Until then, my kindest regards for the time you have given me. ❤️

truly,
CheriByGrace
Old 10-08-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Here are the pictures, I hope. Lol

Oh my, I got all the way to attaching links and pics and closed the window by using “close window” at bottom of screen and it all went bye bye. Starting over again. 🙄

I’m learning to “close window” by clicking the white letters at TOP of window, and it didn’t go bye bye.

First, here is the link to see the pic of the quilt on the Walton’s show, season 3 episode 8. Although the quilt is seen through many episodes, atleast there is a pic to be found of the quilt they used on the show. Yay,

https://waltons.steve-p.org/seas3.php#01confl

Their’s is red and white but mine is more yellows and aquas. I’m pretty sure I accomplished attaching photos of my quilt too.
Here’s to hoping.

What I really want to know is, is anyone familiar with this type of quilt, prob from the 1960s-1980s? If so, can you share what you know! It would hell me with the 2 quilts I found like this, esp this one.

To save you from reading my original post again and my much too wordy style of writing, I think the quilt was made by Colonial Quilting Company? Only because I recently found a brand new similar quilt in my late grandmother’s home with the tag on it that read the company name, but come up empty on searching this company.

Again, my kindest thanks to all who have been so helpful and patient. For the love of quilting, right? Lol

Truly,
CheriByGrace
Attached Thumbnails 2d5b2407-2310-4ec2-b23a-4231bac0e76d.jpeg   6a800575-aed8-476c-8945-cf27a87ffb33.jpeg   51413477-2033-415f-a9da-62c456c29814.jpeg  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by CheriByGrace View Post
Oh my! I am so new at forums and have a LOT to learn!!

I can’t thank you enough for all the instruction and explanations! So appreciate this! I don’t even know how to find a URL. Ugh.
But if there’s one thing to motivate me to learn new stuff, it’s QUILTING! 👍🏼😁

Thanks again! Means so much. And I bet lots of other ppl will benefit from your shared experience too.

Truly, CheriByGrace
The web address at the top of the browser page is the url.

Just copy and paste it to your message using the link at the top of your message which looks like a link in a chain.

bk