Quilting space

Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM

I did the same thing when I quilted a t-shirt quilt for my DDIL, put another cabinet behind the one my Singer 66 was in, to help support the quilt while I was sewing. a wooden tv-tray on my left helped also. My sewing room at the time was very tiny also.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM

I keep moving my machines & tables around. I think the secret is to not be locked into a set arrangement. That's especially true for those of us with multiple machines we like to use.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Great picture Joe and Elaine. I am also "space challenged" and have been known to use my other sewing machine cabinets in the same way.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM

I was standing in the front room ......... 'er sewing machine room, talking to my wife when I got the thought that a large backwards "L" shaped table with the machine set up on the vertical part with the bottom to their left, would be almost perfect.
I was thinking of a couple 4'x8' pieces of 1' finish grade plywood sanded, filled, stained a dark walnut / mahogany then shellacked and polished smooth would be a great sewing table. Personally I never have enough room and the material I'm using always seems to fall off the table and drag itself to the floor or twist or cause trouble.
IF I live long enough and get a bigger house with a sewing area, I'm going to build one like that.

Joe
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM

LOL! You are certainly putting your machines to a good, even if it wasn't necessarily the way they were intended! Ingenious, for sure, and it works!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I was standing in the front room ......... 'er sewing machine room...
Joe
I understand your situation. We have a small frame house and turned our front room (actually living room AND dining room) into our sewing room back in the Fall of 2010. We lovingly call it the “Sweat Shop”. At last, we finally had a living room that we actually live in! I call it a sewing room with a parlor and snack nook. Recliners and TV in the parlor, dining table and chairs in the snack nook. Everything else is sewing machines. It’s only 334 square feet in size, so it’s not very big. All of the other rooms in the house (except one bathroom) store fabric, supplies, and “other” sewing machines in our collection. Our entire house is our “sewing area”, including the front and back yards where I do a lot of my at home sewing.

In the Sweat Shop, we set up a “U” shaped work area (I call it the wife’s “Command Center”) using a 2.5 x 8 ft folding table against a wall on one side, a Singer 430 combo cabinet (43” x 37” surface area) perpendicular to one end of the table, a 2 x 1.5 ft storage cabinet perpendicular to the end of the 430 cabinet, and a Singer economy cabinet with extension leaf extended finishing out the U shape. It provides enough room for most projects, access to several sewing/serger/embroidery machines, but the large surface area is hard to keep cleared off. All of that space gets filled up fairly fast, but it can be “reclaimed” when needed. I tell my wife that we don’t walk around our house, we dance around it. With so many sewing machines and cabinets in the house, we “dance around” them to get where we’re going, and should we both be going somewhere at the same time, we usually have to “dance around” each other AND the sewing machines!

Lucky for us, we’ve always enjoyed dancing together....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM

CD,

That really sounds like us too. Not only the sewing areas, but everywhere else in this tiny house. I guess I don't feel so bad now.

Joe