Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Very nice, I like the half square triangles/pinwheels. Is the top one a disappearing 9 patch?

Blog Entries
    Deedum, I love your quilts!

deedum, pretty quilts. Mine all tend to look alike, but I do not do well following patterns. I usually start trying to and end up turning it into an offbeat thing. I mostly deal with squares, but try triangles some. My next endeavor will be triangles, I think, but the bias stretching just makes it tough. I haven't made one since I started fmq, so maybe it will go better at the quilting phase. Keep up the good work.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    deedum, pretty quilts. Mine all tend to look alike, but I do not do well following patterns. I usually start trying to and end up turning it into an offbeat thing. I mostly deal with squares, but try triangles some. My next endeavor will be triangles, I think, but the bias stretching just makes it tough. I haven't made one since I started fmq, so maybe it will go better at the quilting phase. Keep up the good work.
    I've mostly made simple quilts - I guess I figure I'm going to have my eyes closed when I'm using it anyway. That said. I did the one above for Wilbur, then I saw one on QB where someone sewed some squares right over the cut up squares and made a whole new design. Me being lazy thinks that is a plan for something different. Maybe use a color for the center, a color for each corner and a color for the inside square of the 9 patch. That's 3 colors. Cut like before. Then put on a square of a 4th color that was ironed down the diagonal and stitch on either side of the fold, cut down the fold and - hooo eeeee a couple new squares!!! So each 9 patch would make 8 squares. I wonder what goes in the center? I just have to get myself busy.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've mostly made simple quilts - I guess I figure I'm going to have my eyes closed when I'm using it anyway. That said. I did the one above for Wilbur, then I saw one on QB where someone sewed some squares right over the cut up squares and made a whole new design. Me being lazy thinks that is a plan for something different. Maybe use a color for the center, a color for each corner and a color for the inside square of the 9 patch. That's 3 colors. Cut like before. Then put on a square of a 4th color that was ironed down the diagonal and stitch on either side of the fold, cut down the fold and - hooo eeeee a couple new squares!!! So each 9 patch would make 8 squares. I wonder what goes in the center? I just have to get myself busy.
    I am an idiot sometimes, so I am going to ask. So you are saying, do the disappearing 9-patch up to the cutting into four squares, then put the new plain squares on top of them and make two half triangle things of each one, for the total of 8 squares? Would you sew toward the little dot on the 9patch part and cut the little dot into a baby triangle?
    Melinda

All my quilts are made with my 1950's Pinnock. Need to get my 1912 treadle up and going, I can't wait to make quilts with it. Great quilts and machines everyone.

Blog Entries
    I am an idiot sometimes, so I am going to ask. So you are saying, do the disappearing 9-patch up to the cutting into four squares, then put the new plain squares on top of them and make two half triangle things of each one, for the total of 8 squares? Would you sew toward the little dot on the 9patch part and cut the little dot into a baby triangle?
    Do the 9 patches, cut, sew plain squares on top and make 2 half triangle things of each one - yeah - 8 squares. I bet you do sew toward the little dot. I wonder if it gets a big plain square in the middle of a new 9 patch or just another 9 patch or what?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Do the 9 patches, cut, sew plain squares on top and make 2 half triangle things of each one - yeah - 8 squares. I bet you do sew toward the little dot. I wonder if it gets a big plain square in the middle of a new 9 patch or just another 9 patch or what?
    I may do a paper version and color it and see before I take the time to sew it.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    I say every quilt should have at least one mistake since quilts take on a life...and life ain't perfect.

Blog Entries
    I may do a paper version and color it and see before I take the time to sew it.
    I like that idea a lot

Your quilts are lovely.

I haven't made any quilts with my vintage machines yet but hope to start playing around with them after the Christmas rush. I've been cleaning on the Eldredge treadle; found a couple old Singers at a thrift store a couple months ago; and finally found the knee bar for another Singer that was a gift. I have a hand crank too so that will be another learning experience. I'll try to keep up with your thread and maybe I'll be posting photos one of these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.
    How ingenious! What a great idea!

Sewbizgirl,
    What size are your stars and strips? I like your blocks. I make Quilts of Valor and I'm the keeper of my group's scraps, always looking for new ideas to use them.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Hi, folks, I'm new on here. I've sewn for a while, but just recently started doing quilts. I guess it's my wife's fault - I saw all the quilts she was making, so I decided to see what I could do. The three I've done have all been some form of a self-quilted quilt. The first was a twin-size rag quilt for a friend of mine's daughter - she graduated from high school and was about to go off to college. The next was the mock cathedral windows baby quilt - at least I think that's what it is called, I think that style has no specific name. It would have looked better if I had used just one pattern for the backing/framing fabric. Finally, a flannel rainbow baby quilt made in the manner of "Fun and Done" although with smaller blocks.

These were all done on my Rocketeer. I just got her about eight months ago. The Rocketeer, cabinet, manual, cams, and extra feet were $100 from a woman on Craigslist. She inherited the machine, but didn't sew.

My plan, after all the errors in my first quilt, was to dazzle people's eyes so they couldn't look closely enough to see all the mistakes in the two baby quilts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

King of the Rocketeers!

Blog Entries
    Dazzling!!!!!!

Banned
    I like the quilts indeed and I am glad this thread made it back up to the top again!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Doing a test of posting a picture. This is my latest that I'm still working on.
    Attachment 281577
    Monica, that's going to be gorgeous!! I am inspired!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    My avatar quilt is made with a Singer 66(1908 Lotus) Thought I would post it here were it belongs.
    Glenn
    Glenn that's a gorgeous quilt...who did all the handwork on it? Love the colors and the embroidery!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Sewbizgirl,
    What size are your stars and strips? I like your blocks. I make Quilts of Valor and I'm the keeper of my group's scraps, always looking for new ideas to use them.
    Sharon W. in Texas
    Sharon, I found these links the other day while googling quilt as you go; might be of help for you.
    http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/margueritas-blog/
    http://www.thequiltingedge.com/2011/...ut-quilts.html

I made my ribbon winning quilt entirely with my Singer 221 featherweight. I like the even well formed stitch even when turning corners and doing free motion. I drew circles in the middle of the blossom to look natural.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread.

A lot of my sewing is done on my 1975 Bernina Record 830. I will post some photos later. Guess I will have to crank on my handcranks and treadles to show sewing with those vintage machines. LOL. I guess that what I am saying is that your thread will work as an inspiration for me. Thanks. :-D
    I use my 830 Record to make all my quilts. I didn't think it would be considered a "vintage" machine. So I have been using something that is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltgal View Post
    I made my ribbon winning quilt entirely with my Singer 221 featherweight. I like the even well formed stitch even when turning corners and doing free motion. I drew circles in the middle of the blossom to look natural.
    Stunning! Very beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Monica, that's going to be gorgeous!! I am inspired!!
    Thank you! This is a queen size quilt. I forgot how unwieldy this size is when trying to quilt. My next large quilt will be a quilt as you go. I found a couple of interesting blogs and sites that I posted the links to for Sharon. I'm going that route for my next quilt, start with a lap size to get the technique down and then go larger.

Blog Entries
    Wow you guys are awesome. How in the world do you keep everything straight !

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Sharon, I found these links the other day while googling quilt as you go; might be of help for you.
    http://www.crazyshortcutquilts.com/margueritas-blog/
    http://www.thequiltingedge.com/2011/...ut-quilts.html
    Thank you, Monica!
    Sharon

Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 62 ... LastLast