Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Received my Willcox & Gibbs Electric >

Received my Willcox & Gibbs Electric

Received my Willcox & Gibbs Electric

Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Default Received my Willcox & Gibbs Electric

It's mostly in beautiful condition, but if you look at the photo of the W&G Electric in this link, you'll see an on/off switch just below the motor. On mine, the switch was damaged in shipping, i.e. I pushed the off button and then tried to push the on button and it won't swing to on. Husband took a look at it and said he might be able to stabilize it (on button kind of dangling) but is not sure. I looked briefly for a new switch, but really don't know what to look for or even if they are available.

So I guess my question is, how much would it ruin the value (or does it even matter) if he (a) just bypasses the switch altogether if its not repairable by simply wiring the machine to on and just using the foot pedal to work it?

Does anyone know of a push button mechanism copy?

Thx. in advance
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Some photos of the switch for those who get it better than I do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails broken-switch10.jpg   broken-switch20.jpg  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM

OK, my husband thinks he can repair this. Apparently the term to look for is vintage (or antique) push button switch. Unfortunately, lots of light switches show up, but at least I know what I'm looking for now if I need a new one. I tend to ask friends in the UK when looking for stuff like this - for some reason, there are a lot more parts there
Old 12-14-2018, 03:59 PM

I hope it can be repaired, yours looks rather promising at least. Maybe parts can remade with the right tools, or at a metal work shop. The advantage with old machines is most parts can taken appart and reassembled, hopefully there's mostly screws and clips involved, rivets are a bit more work.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM

I have several W&G machines but none have the on/off switch. As far as value I don't think simply bypassing the switch internally such that the bypass can be removed later would effect the value. Of course, fixing the switch would be best, buy that is not always possible. These are wonderful machines and deserve to be used rather than just sitting on a shelf looking cute and interesting. If bypassing the switch is the only to get it going again I would go ahead. We are not talking about ruining a $15,000 antique. The bypass could not ruin the value by more than a couple hundred dollars at most and if it is the only way to make it usable there is an argument that would make it more valuable since a working machine is always worth more than a nonworking machine.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Thanks y'all. My husband seems to have gotten it operating again, at least it's toggling. We are going to put it back in and see if it works.

Wish we could say more for the brand new auto speakers we got him that were guaranteed to fit in his truck, but don't. Sigh.

Oh, and did I mention our heat pump is failing and needs replacing and that squirrels nested in our attic and had to be (humanely) removed and the roof repaired? It's been an expensive December. Having ONE THING WORK would help!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM

We set the switch to on and left it rather than take it apart. It keeps freezing in off. I'll source a new one over time
Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 AM

I have that kind of light switches in my house. Fun. but I buy old ones at antiques stores sometimes.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
I have that kind of light switches in my house. Fun. but I buy old ones at antiques stores sometimes.
Leon - I've seen lots of the light switches online but don't think they will fit. They seem larger.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
And I'm jealous of your house!!!