Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Recommendations for  vintage machines >

Recommendations for vintage machines

Recommendations for vintage machines

Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Recommendations for vintage machines

Good Morning all, I'm new to the vintage machine world and have NO space for more sewing machines but I'm thinking of buying a couple anyway...LOL
I've been reading here and think you would all recommend the Singer 301 and or 401 series. Is that right? I am also thinking of a 99.

I want a machine I can sew with, otherwise I can't really justify the expense and the space I will have to find to store it/them in.

I have my great grandmother's treadle, don't know the model but I will get the grandbaby's stuff off it so I can take some pics for you all. The table is not in good shape, it's a veneer and it's peeling on the back.
I have a sweet little Featherweight and another vintage machine that I haven't seen in so long I can't remember what it is. I dropped it off to a friend so he can clean and tune it up for me but I think I will have to do it myself as he has not gotten to it yet.

I have a friend who shops all the yard sales and auctions and will buy for me if I let him know what I'm looking for. He will make a profit on it also which is fair, so I need to give him some ball park figures.

Any advice on which machine you would recommend is appreciated.
Also, I see a lot of ads on CL, but most don't have the model numbers, any websites I can go to to look them up?
Thanks,
Cindy
Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 AM

Appears you are on top of it. The 301 is a great machine. The Featherweight will do most of what the 301 will do. I know little of the 401, other than its appearance is impressive. Personally, I'd get a 403 for the versatility. Admittedly, it's heftier than the 301 and about the same as the 401, but unless you're moving it around it, weight is a plus. As we all know, machine choice depends on use and personal preferences. My nickel's worth.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 AM

If you like your Featherweight, you will like her big sister the 301. They use the same bobbins which is a plus.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM

It would be really important to know first what kind of sewing you do. What do you need the machine to do? Some machines may not fit the requirements.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 AM

The vintage machines you already have may be all you need. There are tutorials on this board which will walk you through the cleanup needed to make them usable. Personally, I prefer my Singer 201 and 15-91 for most of the sewing I do.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 AM

Thank-you for your replies. Sorry about not being complete in how I sew. I'm a quilter, very rarely sew clothes and if I do I have plenty of modern machines with fancy stitches. I'm really attracted to the funky looks of some of these old machines and love the colored ones!!
I'm going to look into the 403, sounds like I don't really need a 301 since I have a featherweight. Of course I don't actually NEED any more sewing machines. But the mechanical ones are nice because you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself.
I was horrified the last time I brought my Bernina 150 in for a repair. And he says if the same thing happens again I will need a $200 part, then pay labor. I don't even dare use it anymore, I'm so afraid it will break on me.
Anyway thanks for all your info. I'm really learning a lot here.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 AM

If you just need a straight stitch, reverse and feed dogs that drop, I would suggest a Singer 15-91. It is fast becoming my all time favorite machine. Beautiful stitches and does better FMQ'ing than my modern machines!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 AM

I mostly piece and quilt on my 1941 Singer 15. 15s are the ones with the tension dial on the left face of the machine. For delicate and precise piecing I sew on a Singer 201. I'm talking 1/2 inch HST. I like the 301 and the featherweight, the treadles, the 185s, just don't sit down to sew on them everyday.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 AM

I love my 301 over the Featherweight. The feed dogs drop, and the slant needle gives so much better visibility. It doesn't take up much space and tucks away nicely in its case. Yet it is lightweight enough to carry easily.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM

I think if I had to only have one vintage machine, and I did mostly quilting, it would be one of my 15's - though my non-potted motor one works better than either of my potted motor machines, but each machine can have it's own personality with minor differences. I seem to have better power control with the external motor, but maybe the problem is the foot control too. BTW - do not hesitate to get an updated electronic foot control for an old machine if you find that you can't get the speed control you want.

One big reason for me wanting this machine - my long arm also takes the 15 size bobbins, so I can easily wind them on my 15, like a dozen at a time. I haven't tried winding this size bobbin on a machine that takes a different size though.