Redeye questions

Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM

there aren't a whole lot of changes most of the time. I'm going for the "collectable" issue, so I want a manual that has pictures that match the machine they go with. I've got two 66-16 manuals, one from 1947 and one from 1952. They are the same form, but one shows a floral faceplate, and the newer shows the straight line face plate. Singer also changed the tension at some point - to the one with numbers on it, and the directions for adjusting them are different. At at some point Singer made a bit of a change to the newer style bobbin wider - to make it more adjustable, and the older manuals don't have that peice of information.

Another change is with the attachments - so a person buying a new machine would have certainly wanted a manual showing the attachments they got with the machine - and not an older style. I've got two manuals that are only one year apart, and the difference are in the light on the machine, and the binder attachment - the lights not a big deal, but the instructions for the binder are different.

One really neat thing - the manual for the treadle conversion to electric shows the "plug in" end of the cord - its a base that screws into a light socket - and that is how they tell you to hook the machine up - screw the cord end into a light socket, then turn the light socket on. Now wouldn't it be neat to find an original one of those! Though I'm sure everyone had their cord updated as soon as outlets came into fashion. I love reading what is written about about early electricity - like to call your power company to find out if you have AC or DC in your home.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 PM

What year did they change the instructions for the binder? Was it when the multi-slotted binder came out?

When I was a kid we actually plugged appliances into light sockets. BUT the appliances had regular plugs and the light sockets had outlets. We had wall outlets but not enough of them. We also had pull chains on our fixtures. In this blog post there is a brochure, and on page 10 they show a cord with a bayonet-type fitting on the end of the cord (it's from the UK).
http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.co...ice-list-1933/
I've never seen a picture of a screw-type fitting on a cord!

You can buy light socket adapters if you want to plug your machine into a lamp ;)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/23147003?w...957796&veh=sem
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 AM

As a kid, the only source of electric in the upper bedrooms was an adaptor screwed into the light socket in the ceiling (only light in the room too). Didn't have heat up there too - not bad except it was in MN . . .

Anyway - I'll post a picture showing the cord with the bulb socket end.

I've seen the wall scones with an outlet on them - I really want to get one for my next house, and put it where I can plug one of my old machines into it!