Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • refinishing sewing machine cabinets >
  • refinishing sewing machine cabinets

  • refinishing sewing machine cabinets

    Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
      #61  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Location: Middle Tennessee
    Posts: 360
    Default

    Thank you for the lovely tutorial. We can all use this information.
    DonnaQuilts is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 AM
      #62  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Outer Space
    Posts: 9,319
    Default

    Originally Posted by Glenn
    Candace, first we need to find out what the finish is. Use denatured alcohol in a place where is will not be noticeable. If the finsih melts and get tacky is shellac. If it does not it is not shellac. Next try acetone and if it melts the finish is laquer. I this doe not work is varnish or poly( oilbased) Varnish and poly are hard if not impossible to repair and will need to be stripped off. So lets find out what the finish is first and then we can go from there.
    Thanks, Glenn. I will try the alcohol first as I know I have some. I'll report back.
    Candace is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
      #63  
    Super Member
     
    Christine-'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: USA
    Posts: 1,625
    Default

    I'm refinishing the cabinet for a Belvedere Adler I bought last weekend. It has a thick coat of latex paint on top of nicotine, decades worth from the smell of it, and then shellac. I'm using the Citristrip and it's taking all 3 layers off at once. I like the Citristrip, it has little odor and it does a good job if I remember to goop it on. I always spread it too thin and end up putting more on later.
    The wood is just gorgeous underneath! I'll use Briwax to finish it because I intend to use this machine a lot.
    Christine- is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
      #64  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Outer Space
    Posts: 9,319
    Default

    Glenn, I tried a small area with rubbing alcohol as it's all I had and nothing...so I tried a small area with acetone and it became tacky and the the finish started coming off. So I guess this means it's laquer? What would be my options with a laquer finish?
    Candace is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
      #65  
    Super Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Huntsville, AL
    Posts: 2,609
    Default

    Originally Posted by Candace
    Glenn, I tried a small area with rubbing alcohol as it's all I had and nothing...so I tried a small area with acetone and it became tacky and the the finish started coming off. So I guess this means it's laquer? What would be my options with a laquer finish?
    Yes you have lacquer. You options are to sand it down smooth and spray a new coat of lacquer. I you don't like the honey finish you can strip it down stain it in the color o choice and then use shellac or any other finish you like. I recomend if you strip it use shellac it is easier to repair if need be.
    Glenn is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
      #66  
    Super Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Huntsville, AL
    Posts: 2,609
    Default Cabinet

    Originally Posted by Christine-
    I'm refinishing the cabinet for a Belvedere Adler I bought last weekend. It has a thick coat of latex paint on top of nicotine, decades worth from the smell of it, and then shellac. I'm using the Citristrip and it's taking all 3 layers off at once. I like the Citristrip, it has little odor and it does a good job if I remember to goop it on. I always spread it too thin and end up putting more on later.
    The wood is just gorgeous underneath! I'll use Briwax to finish it because I intend to use this machine a lot.
    I would apply a coat or two of shellac before the briwax
    Glenn is offline  
    Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM
      #67  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Outer Space
    Posts: 9,319
    Default

    Originally Posted by Glenn
    Yes you have lacquer. You options are to sand it down smooth and spray a new coat of lacquer. I you don't like the honey finish you can strip it down stain it in the color o choice and then use shellac or any other finish you like. I recomend if you strip it use shellac it is easier to repair if need be.
    Thanks, Glenn.
    Candace is offline  
    Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 AM
      #68  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Location: Massachusetts, USA
    Posts: 1,775
    Default

    I'm glad that this has been revived. The weather is getting good enough that I'm so-o ready to try Glenn's recipe on some of the old treadle cabinets that I've been collecting. Maybe a trip to Home Depot is on my list of things to do today.
    cabbagepatchkid is offline  
    Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
      #69  
    Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Shawnee, OK
    Posts: 10
    Default

    Hi, I have been reading numerous posts for awhile and have started refinishing a treadle cabinet. I am at the shellac stage and wonder since it dries so fast and I have to keep a wet edge, would it be best to do this on a humid day? I live in OK and most days during this time of year are humid. I realize it would probably take longer to dry between coats and to cure longer than a week, if it is real humid. Is there anything I can do to keep it wet on these very windy and hot days? Thanks to Glenn and all those who have such detailed instructions on how to care for and beautify these lovely old machines and cabinets.
    Nino is offline  
    Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM
      #70  
    Super Member
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Huntsville, AL
    Posts: 2,609
    Default

    Originally Posted by Nino
    Hi, I have been reading numerous posts for awhile and have started refinishing a treadle cabinet. I am at the shellac stage and wonder since it dries so fast and I have to keep a wet edge, would it be best to do this on a humid day? I live in OK and most days during this time of year are humid. I realize it would probably take longer to dry between coats and to cure longer than a week, if it is real humid. Is there anything I can do to keep it wet on these very windy and hot days? Thanks to Glenn and all those who have such detailed instructions on how to care for and beautify these lovely old machines and cabinets.
    You really should not apply shellac in very humid weather it can turn white on you. You can apply shellac with a rag with a little lineseed oil on the rag with the shellac and wipe it on the finish.
    Glenn is offline  
    Related Topics
    Thread
    Thread Starter
    Forum
    Replies
    Last Post
    vmaniqui
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    13
    12-06-2013 03:40 PM
    Vridar
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    13
    10-07-2013 04:50 AM
    greywuuf
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    1
    05-06-2012 01:55 PM
    Pinkiris
    General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
    8
    09-21-2011 05:29 PM

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter