Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: refinishing sewing machine cabinets

It's probably covered somewhere in this 150 question thread. I'm sorry to say that I haven't read it all.

Is the Singer 65 cabinet really mahogany? I need to do some veneer repairs and was wondering what kind of veneer to order for the purpose. (I've seen photos that appear to be "blonde".)

bkay

Blond wood cabine*ts are usually birch and sometimes beech; both woods can give this super silky shine and it's a very nice effects with the pale color and grain in the wood.

I have seen teak cabine*ts, but yes, it looks like some are mahogany from my simple google search. I would suspect stained oak too; you should be able to idientify by comparing with exaples of mahogany and oak and a closer look on the texture of the wood grane.
    Last edited by Mickey2; 09-13-2016 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks, Mickey. I assumed I would have to order veneer online. I can identify Oak, but not Mahogany by sight. However, I looked online and there is a wood worker store in town that carries veneer. Fortunately, I have a stool for my cabinet that I can take with me.

bkay

Glenn, I have read your instructions regarding use of a dowel to fill a screw hole. Of course, I have a situation with a twist. I am restoring a singer 42 cabinet and am solving problems one step at a time (thanks to this thread). There was an issue with the swing arm support and my Dad obviously tried to repair without removing the top of the cabinet. The result is a screw was set in at an angle intersecting the original screw hole. Can I use the dowel method to repair/fill the second angled screw hole or do you have another suggestion

Blog Entries
    Yes you can use this method to repair the off set screw.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thank you Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Yes you can use this method to repair the off set screw.
    Hi Glenn, Thank you so much for all the information. I did the dowel repair on Saturday and when I checked it on Sunday it looked like a solid repair. It held great! Just wanted to share that because I had my doubts. Will be using this and passing the information on to others in the future. Thanks again!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7