Removing Melted Insulation

Old 04-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Default Removing Melted Insulation

I recently picked up a 15-91, when I went to take her out of the cabinet I got handful of grease. Might have stopped there, but she is cosmetically near perfect, she was free and she deserved some attention. So she came home with me.

When I took the hand wheel off I couldn't believe how much grease someone had put in there. This actually made me hopeful, maybe the grease was all from here and the motor would be clean. Unfortunately, someone had also put grease in the brush housings. The motor is salvageable, a lot of time and hundreds of q-tips and it is all cleaned and ready for re-wiring.

But back to the exterior of the machine, the grease just flowed down the pillar, over the badge, serial number and front decals. Looks like black puffy paint was dripped on her. I've nearly got the decals cleaned using just sewing machine oil and giving it lots of time. But there is an area that I'm fairly sure is at least partly dissolved/melted insulation and it is rather thick. Any suggestions for removing this?

Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM

Default Here is how I got it off

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, here is how I got the big clump of melted insulation off the exterior of this machine. I used Gojo original formula hand cleaner. The Gojo removed the thick rivers of dried grease in just a couple of applications, the insulation took a bit more persistence, but it did a great job. This is the first time I've used Gojo, this stuff is amazing!

Here are a couple of pictures so you see the problem and the results.

Before:
img_2019.jpg img_1991.jpg

After:
img_2072.jpgimg_2071.jpg
Old 04-15-2020, 03:12 PM

Great job!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:23 AM

That is such an impressive change. I am sorry no one could help you on this one