Rescued Cinderella

Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Still haven't finished cleaning the machine I picked up! Got the foot pedal and new wiring. DH will make box for my birthday sometime after Christmas. But saw this one recently on eBay. They got what they asked .... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cin...-/222739523445
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
On Ebay "buy it now", you can't tell by the listing if it actually sold for the listing price. The price may have been negotiated, but the listing does not give you that information. It leaves you to assume it went for the listed price.

The actual selling price of an item is only revealed if it is sold at auction.

bkay
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Sorry about being late to the party.... I have one complete of these and a parts one. I consider it the largest TOY machine made... Like the Moldacot, this could have bene a fantastic machine if they had just taken a little more engineering time with it, but it was made to be super cheap to sell. The body is not iron, it is stamped steel in two halves. Here is what it looks like after the first round of disassembly.

I have plans to make mine a handcrank if I can get to to work smooth enough to be worth the efforts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585333[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160101_142109.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Nice breakdown shot. SteveH thanks.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanks for explaining this as I was not aware that is how it worked.
Originally Posted by bkay View Post
On Ebay "buy it now", you can't tell by the listing if it actually sold for the listing price. The price may have been negotiated, but the listing does not give you that information. It leaves you to assume it went for the listed price.

The actual selling price of an item is only revealed if it is sold at auction.

bkay
Old 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
The machine did have both the foot control and the block for the motor and light plugs. The wiring however from the motor block out to the foot control and to the end that plugs into outlet both have about 8 areas of exposed wiring and brittle plastic along the cords. Just thinking a new setup would be better.
You can also buy an extension cord of the right length and replace the 2 cords yourself. It conveniently has a plug already attached! I did it for one of mine, I forget which one. I even got spares when I went to Home Depot- they are only a few $ apiece. If it needs those little connectors on the ends of the wires and you don't know how to / don't want to solder, you might be able to use these: https://www.harborfreight.com/305-pi...kit-67684.html They make it easy-peasy. Available at most hardware places, not just harbor freight.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 PM

What a pretty machine. Once you get her all fixed up she'll be a ton of fun to sew on.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM

Still working on this little one... Got a new power cord set and it Works! A little noisy and a little hesitant at first. Motor is smelly like old oil. The belt has probably seen better days but I am not sure what size it takes. Has anyone replaced a belt on a Cinderella? DH is building a new box for her and I named her Nellie! Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-31-2018, 03:30 PM

You measure the outer diameter, and you can order belt widths a centimeter appart. The black rubber V-belts doesn't come in as many sizes as the lugged neoprene belts, but with a bit of luck there might be one in your size. The motor can smell a bit when old grease gets warm, on some motors it wears off, on others it's more persistant. Luckily it's relatively easy to clean them, be careful to get the right size grease wicks if they need replacing (some motors are meant to be oiled and don't have them). Carbon brushes are availalbe too if needed, mearsure the sides across, the length isn't as important.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-31-2018 at 03:33 PM.