Sally's cut cord pics for Joe

Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Sally's cut cord pics for Joe

Here's the pics of the cord.

Thanks for the tip on the hinges.

Another problem (are you tired of me yet)? My FW pedal and cord has decided not to stop. I plugged it into the FW this morning and the machine took off without my pushing the pedal . . . on both machines. I took both machines apart and don't have any capacitors in either machine. I took the foot pedal apart and not capacitors. The pedal button moves and the foot pedal apears to not be frozen in "go". I don't see any metal or wires touching. Guess I should give up and buy a new one.

Anyway, it's the pics.
Attached Thumbnails tucson-201-012-640x480-.jpg   tucson-201-013-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM

ArizonaKAT

OK, first the short piece of wire behind the block that goes up, is the wire to the motor. There is another wire that comes out of the back of the switch block below the one with plugs and goes into the machine body, that is for the light. The one that's cut is the controller cord. Look under the cabinet and see if there is a controller in a bracket. If not then either someone removed that and chopped the cord when they did it or you have a different kind of cabinet.
EDITED: You have a different type of cabinet than I do. It still might have a controller underneath, but at any rate the controller wire is the cut one.

What you are missing is the power cord, and the remainder of the controller cord.

The cut wire is the old latex insulated wire. The latex deteriorates badly and some of it has aluminum wire in it. I would suggest that you carefully remove the cord block and replace the entire controller wire rather than try to splice a new piece into it. I say carefully because if the motor and light wire are intact you can leave them if you don't damage them.

Depending on which controller you have for your FW it could still be shorted out or miss adjusted. Controllers are adjustable. If the adjustment is turned in too much they will run the machine.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 09-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Joe, I have the plug that goes into the wall. When plugged in it does turn the machine's light on. There is no controller in the cabinet. They probably removed the machine from the orignal cabinet and put it in this crappy one. So I need to get a new controller and cord. Do they sell them in one piece and can I make the controller into a knee control?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM

If you can find a Singer controller like the original, the one with the small button beside the raised button and if the controller bracket is still inside the bracket you can make a knee controlled machine out of it.

As far as the controller and wire about 5 feet of 18-2 SPT2 wire, a couple ring connectors and a new foot controller and your in business.

I'd check at your LSMG if you have one for a Singer controller. If he doesn't have one the ones Sew-Classic sells work pretty good. I have about a half dozen of them on my machines.

Joe