Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Saw a thrift shop machine...can't get it out of my head.  Y'all are contagious. >

Saw a thrift shop machine...can't get it out of my head. Y'all are contagious.

Saw a thrift shop machine...can't get it out of my head. Y'all are contagious.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 AM

What a find! My Mother had this machine when I was a kid. She sewed many many clothes for me on it. When I found any new clothes I wanted, Mom would always tell me "I can make this." On to the patterns and material, (as she would say). She replaced the machine at one point and gave it to a cousin. She regretted letting it go for the rest of her years. Thanks for the memories !
Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 AM

What a find! My Mother had this machine when I was a kid. She sewed many many clothes for me on it. When I found any new clothes I wanted, Mom would always tell me "I can make this." On to the patterns and material, (as she would say). She replaced the machine at one point and gave it to a cousin. She regretted letting it go for the rest of her years. Thanks for the memories ! (btw, her cabinet was exactly like this, she still had it and only replaced the machine)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sewnoma,

Here's a tip to keep the drive wheel from flat spotting. Take a spring loaded clothes pin apart and put one side of it between the motor body and the bracket that attaches it to the machine. That will keep the drive wheel off the hand wheel. I do this to all my friction drive machines that have spring loaded motors. If they don't have spring loaded motors I remove the drive wheel if I'm not using the machine.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I'll keep that in mind if I ever store it away. My intention is to get it set up in my sewing room and actually use it on a regular basis. The wheel on there now isn't flat on any side, it's just been worn evenly convex all the way around from years of use. I think this machine might have been used & maintained somewhat regularly its whole life, nothing really seems like it ever sat still.

Well, except....any ideas about the stuck clutch?

Also, according to the manual, I need to grease the motor too. I found the grease caps it talks about - what is the best grease to use for this? Manual says white petroleum jelly is an option, but what's best?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM

The machine has been named!

My boss, who was so kind and volunteered to help me haul it home (during work hours, no less) was very close to his Mom, so with his permission, the machine has been named Judy in her honor.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM

Is it just my computer or what. I did not get any pictures, only a square - about 1/4", empty, for each thing Sewnoma is trying to point out.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Also, according to the manual, I need to grease the motor too. I found the grease caps it talks about - what is the best grease to use for this? Manual says white petroleum jelly is an option, but what's best?
I forget the person's name but they are selling a grease that is supposed to work the same as Singer's original motor grease. There's a thread about it from a short while ago. Sorry I don't remember more. Otherwise petroleum jelly is about the best you're going to do. Most modern greases have too high of a melting temperature to work properly.
Rodney
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM

This brought tears to my eyes. How thoughtful of you to ask to name her for his mother. I bet he really was touched.

The machine has been named!

My boss, who was so kind and volunteered to help me haul it home (during work hours, no less) was very close to his Mom, so with his permission, the machine has been named Judy in her honor.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:01 PM

What a "stinker"! LOL

Oh, slightly funny story about this...

So when I saw this originally I was with DH on my lunch break. I kept talking about it afterwards so he definitely knew what machine I've been looking at.

When I got home from work I told him I couldn't get "that machine" out of my mind and that I thought I was going to have to go back and take another look, and maybe buy it.

DH smiled at me and said, "Oh, that reminds me, there's something BIG and HEAVY out in the car that I need your help with."

So I got all excited thinking that maybe DH had realized how much I wanted that machine and bought it for me as a surprise!!

We get out thre, and I'm all hopeful and excited but trying not to show it so I could act surprised....

As you know, that's not what was in the car.

It was a new toilet.

Talk about disappointment! LOL
Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM

if it's a White, I've got attachments that fit - I've got so many extra White attachments . . . send me a pm if you are interested.

To make sure, measure from the presser bar (not the foot) to the needle, for White it's about .62", for most, it's right at .5" and White is the oddball that is longer. Needle will also be centered with the presser bar, not off to one side or the other.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I have loved looking at all your pics and reading your enthusiastic comments regarding "Judy". What a lot of fun and happiness this machine has brought to you (and us!). Well worth every penny. Thanks for the smiles.