Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Seized 401 A, possibly bad motor >

Seized 401 A, possibly bad motor

Seized 401 A, possibly bad motor

Old 12-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Seized 401 A, possibly bad motor

Can't turn the handwheel, not too worried about that. But, the motor doesn't do anything when I step on the pedal. What do you think? Also, how hard is it to get the cams? Oh, and one screw is gone from the top piece. Not sure what that clue means, lol. So, talk me into or out of it!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 AM

Cams are relatively easy, since it takes black top hat cams. It's mostly a question of what you are willing to pay for them. I think there's two type black top hat cams, and it's the version with two holes sort of placed at a 90 degree angle.

You will find the replacement screw by searching ebay now and then, and those who care for vintage machines. The trouble is to identify the correct type, but it's within doable.

For the motor I don't know, it can be damaged, but more often it's something that needs sorting out with the pedal, adjusting, a capacitor there or in connection with the motor. I'm not quite sure where the capacitor turns up on the 401s. It could be anything electrical, a loose wire,...
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Can't turn the handwheel, not too worried about that. But, the motor doesn't do anything when I step on the pedal. What do you think? Also, how hard is it to get the cams? Oh, and one screw is gone from the top piece. Not sure what that clue means, lol. So, talk me into or out of it!
I looked at one like that last week that was up for auction. I passed on it and have sort of regretted it since. Generally, I'm of the opinion that you can't kill an old Singer with a stick and a 401 is a sweet machine. However, getting a 401 to loosen up is a time consuming job.

I'm with Mickey, it may well be the controller. Mine is acting up right now, getting stuck on "go". Given they are about the same age, I'd start there. I've not refurbed that many machines, but most have been in storage for extended periods of time. I've run into lots of problems, but the motors always work.

AND, even if you find it's a dud, and you didn't pay too much for it, you can always part it out.

bkay
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

No Mickey, there are two types of black cams, top hat and flat. Either type will work in all of the machines that take the particular type. So the black top hat cams will work in any Singer that takes top hat cams. Then there are the white top hat cams, the flexi stitch cams, that work in machines starting in one of the 700 series. Then there are the other white cams for the Futura and Touchtronics, etc..

Cari
Old 12-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

I highly doubt the motor is bad. Since there is a screw missing it's more probable that someone else has been in the machine. It could be as simple as a disconnected wire in the controller(no capacitors in a US 401) or one of the motor wires not getting a good connection. The missing screw could be somewhere in the top of the machine locking it up. Intil you get into the machine and check things out, it's hard to say.

Cari
Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I highly doubt the motor is bad. Since there is a screw missing it's more probable that someone else has been in the machine. It could be as simple as a disconnected wire in the controller(no capacitors in a US 401) or one of the motor wires not getting a good connection. The missing screw could be somewhere in the top of the machine locking it up. Intil you get into the machine and check things out, it's hard to say.

Cari
Wow, didn't even think of the screw being lost in the machine. yeah, that would stop things up, wouldn't it? It's $24,99 now or therabouts, and was marked down today, so I'll go by tomorrow, and if its still there, I'll bring it home. The cabinet is really nice, so that will be worth it anyway.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 AM

I was given a 401A and it was locked up too. Tried to unstick it myself and saw a gear near the Stitch Choices was out of place and cause all to not work. 401A are almost impossible to break. I have two and they are tremendous workhorses. Try to get it fixed as they are worth it.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I got mine in working order with a lot of help from folks on this board and on the victoriansweatshop.com - I know it's issues weren't identical to yours but there is a lot of good information and some of it may be helpful. I got my machine up and running very nicely. I managed to find cams on eBay, I think.

Shall I try and get this machine?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:40 PM

sooo . Did you pick it up? inquiring minds want to know. Turn the head over and see if the screw falls out.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:00 PM

A nice cabinet and the right cabinet is worth $50. A 401 in a case is worth $50, even when it needs a bit of tlc to stitch again. Especially when it's a machine that's to be used again, these models have their advantages. At half the price you should not hesitate if it's the kind of machine you want.