Serger question

Old 12-25-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Serger question

I got a Singer 14U64A on the Goodwill site and after a lot of learning curve, I seem to be zeroing in on a serged seam that looks like what I see online. But ...

The left needle doesn't seem to have a stop when I'm inserting it. In fact, it doesn't have a stop - it will run in so far that the clamp won't hold it. I found an old video online that showed the needle bar and it looks just like the attached pic of mine, where there's a slot extending well past the clamp. Eventually I set the left needle flush with the right needle and it now sews the seam shown. Setting it up higher (as I thought sergers were supposed to be), it won't pick up the needle thread.

Does anyone have any insight about what's going on? I'm going to keep scouring the internet in the meantime.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails serged-edge.jpg   serger-needlebar.jpg  
Old 12-25-2022, 05:09 PM

I figured it out. The screw that holds the thread guide is also supposed to have a pin that limits the needle's upward travel. It's missing the pin. Odd problem... but the screw is available, so no biggie.

Last edited by AlZilla; 12-25-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:55 PM

Congratulations for figuring it out. Wonder how the pin got broke off or the wrong one used.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:32 AM

It's strange that it will work with the needles even. The right needle should be a little lower. It could be that the needle bar is twisted slightly. Then the needles should be squarely side by side, and evenly spaced between the upper looper in the back and lower looper in the front.

Let us know when you get the new part installed.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
It's strange that it will work with the needles even. The right needle should be a little lower. It could be that the needle bar is twisted slightly. Then the needles should be squarely side by side, and evenly spaced between the upper looper in the back and lower looper in the front.

Let us know when you get the new part installed.
I appreciate the thought about a possibly twisted needle bar. I'm a serger newbie so doing the learning curve on all fronts at once. That and a real lack of information online compared to sewing machines has made this a challenge.