Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Sewing Machine was it when you Realized You had way too many? >

Which Sewing Machine was it when you Realized You had way too many?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Sort of like AA except we encourage our addiction. Think I need an intervention. (LOL)

Jon
Well Jon, all you have to go is go on CL and search - you might find something very cool you can't live with out.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Miriam,

I'm scared to browse CL for fear I'll fall off the wagon and find something I can't live without. I backslide once in a while most lately sewing machine trade cards which are also fascinating. Ever try to figure out the "allegorical" message on them things? Some are quite bizzarre. I'd much rather have an old sewing machine but it would have to be really something special and I have about 6-10 machines to find New Home's for before I consider something new.

Jon

Edit---Think I'll start a new thread on my Sewing Machine Trade Cards to show off some of more bizzarre ones I have. They seem to have some kind of message which is tough to figure out. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Last edited by jlhmnj; 09-30-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Jon, You know you asked. So we enable you to FIND another one... cards are good though.... attachments.... I have wanted a Davis for years and Glenn gave me one a few weeks ago then I bought one yesterday and TODAY another one is on CL I am not sure what it is but it is dirt cheap. It isn't mine..... you can oogle all you like and I REALLY don't need it now. Crappy pictures IMHO. Someone 'up dated' it at some point... The dog gone things are breading on CL - I just saw another one - dirt cheap, too. It would be well worth a road trip to Indiana... see I do enable. I just went to CL, in Indianapolis and searched Davis sewing... wow... too bad I have to work so much the rest of this week... well if it is still there on Saturday... yikes - I'm sick..........

Last edited by miriam; 09-30-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 PM

I catch your drift. Everyone loves a "bargain" and there awful tough to pass up on.

Jon
Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Which iteration??? lol With me, it's never been any particular machine that triggered the Dark Clouds of Doom. I just looked up and thought, holy heck, I have GOT to get rid of some stuff. Followed by giveaways and sales.

Once it was when I found myself renting a 5x5 storage unit just for storing machines that I bought at yard/estate/thrift store sales but would probably never get around to using.

Once it was when I was packing up to move and came to the realization that I had to either divest some of the baggage or crate it up and lug it to another state. I suddenly felt like I didn't really need 4 401s, 2 500s, 1 503, 5 127s, 4 66s, and that POS electronic Singer that I gave to to the Singer shop man. etc. lol

Lately, I'm thinking I have too many again because there is a 66 and a Centennial 15-91 both sitting with bad wiring and I don't feel like fixing it, there's a 404 that I got nicely freed up, and a nifty nice 401 that I picked up via local Craigslist, and a green 15-125 that's been riding on the back floorboard of my work car for (no lie) over a year now, there are two cabinets that I keep stumbling over in my garage, and one desk cabinet that I shoved into an empty spot in my parents' basement, ... and yanno, it's been over THREE years since I actually did any sewing other than just mend and patch things that needed mended or patched. Or just putting sewing machines through their stitch patterns to see if they work.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
As in “Hi, I’m S-H-A-R-O-N, and I have O-S-M-A-D”?

You’re not alone. I have it too!

CD in Oklahoma
You nailed CD!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
This one is easy for me as the realization of too many machines slapped me upside the head just last week with the purchase of a brand new Juki JZL Exceed F600 quilting/sewing machine and I also have a new Juki Serger.

Too many vintage machines, supplies, cabinets, tables.

I started buying and refurbishing vintage machines last October. I now have about 40 machines and as Miriam has said waaaaay too many tables and not enough wood cases. I have sewn with many vintage machines and I have found out what I like and don't like.
I am drastically thinning the herd starting this week. I am keeping one of the two VS2 Treadles, Morse 300 Deluxe, the FW, 319W's, Slant O Matics, T & S's, Necchi's ( may sell those later as I am waffling about them) and the New Home Greyhounds plus a few fun odds and ends. Selling most straight stitching machines as one of the things I discovered is I LUV CAMS!!! I love reverse and I love zig zags and auto buttonholes. I found out Hubby and I also prefer lighter weight machines so the heavy ones are outta here too. Selling the 99K, The 15-91's, the Pfaff 131 and so on and so forth.

It has been a blast learning all about the vintage machines and meeting the people here. I now have two wonderful real life friends from this forum and I have had a blast gathering a small collection of machines but I am anxious to get into quilting/sewing with my friends and using my new machines, taking classes with my beautiful little blushing celery featherweight and freeing up the closets and drawers of many many boxes of buttonholers and accessories gleaned from the thrift stores. I will be happy to get my space back and I can't wait to be free of endless vintage sewing machine to do's, which will now be showing off my small collection and using them in rotation through out the year for small projects. Getting back into my glass studio is tops on the to do list now.

This will always be my go to forum for anything vintage sewing machine and I still have many machines in different stages of repair that I need to finish or sell as is... What a wealth of info here. Thank you all for helping me to explore a new craft/hobby and being so helpful.

Hubby and I learned so much and we had such fun...never did score a penguin foot though.
Lorraine

Great post Lorraine, you've basically figured out the best things and the worst things about this whole situation, and now you have goals and a positive outlook for your future. Love this.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM

I figure I'm ok. I only have 11, or 12? and a lady is bringing one to the guild meeting tomorrow that I bought. Can't tell you what it is, don't remember. And my boss is bringing me his grandmothers old treadle head and the drawer units. Which my treadle doesn't have. and maybe that head will be better than my others. Maybe its 13 machines. I'm confused now.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
I suddenly felt like I didn't really need 4 401s, 2 500s, 1 503, 5 127s, 4 66s, and that POS electronic Singer that I gave to to the Singer shop man. etc. lol

I suddenly feel better.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 AM

every once in a while I look around and think "Why do I have all these machines! I need to get rid of some!"

But then I sit down until the feeling goes away, and then I get on eBay or CS and see if I can find another one.