Shouldn't this line up?

Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Shouldn't this line up?

On the second machine I tackled, the motor pulley and the slot for the belt didn't line up. I don't know if you can see in this photo, but it's about 1/4" inch off. This is a Japanese machine that is badged as a Lenco. It was made by Sanshin. The motor matches the color of the machine, but is a Westinghouse.

I bought the machine at auction a couple of years ago. The seller was there when I picked it up. He said the belt broke, but the machine worked fine.

I finally got a belt a few months ago, but just tried it today. The motor won't move left and right, but you can adjust up and down. How do I deal with this? It really needs to move to the right.

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601550[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0149.jpg  
Old 09-23-2018, 04:25 PM

Does the pulley on the shaft of the motor have a set screw? Can you loosen it, remove the pulley, flip it around the other direction and tighten it with the belt grove a whole lot closer to the end of the shaft and thus reduce the angle enough for it to run?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:42 PM

[
Originally Posted by bkay View Post
,,, The motor won't move left and right, but you can adjust up and down. How do I deal with this? It really needs to move to the right. ...
I thought the bracket had oval shape holes for screws that mount the motor. Have you had the bracket and motor off the machine? I think there may be screws that the heads would be facing the machine when mounted. If that is the case have you tried loosening those screws and moving the motor slightly and then tighten and remount to motor boss. It looks like there is a little room between the motor and the bracket bend that then goes to the motor boss.

I also like the idea of turning the pulley 180° if possible.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:00 AM

Even the singers usually only have an up-down adjustment for the bracket position. The pulley comes off, but they tend to have a fixed screw hole in the motor axle, nothing adjustable. I think that's why the lugged neoprene belts can be noisy compared to the standard v-belt.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 AM

I've yet to see a Japanese badged machine that didn't have a provision for "sideways" adjustment of the motor. However it looks like the bend in the bracket limits the adjustment needed. Turn the motor pulley around. The motor no doubt has a flat milled in the output shaft to accommodate some adjustment to the pulley. If the shaft is round, the set screw will provide enough purchase on the shaft to hold it. After you turn that pulley around you might have to adjust the motor on the bracket to line it up. No elongated holes? Grab a file and make some.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned

The motor pulley needs to be moved over so it's even with the end of the shaft, it's on the right way.

Cari
Old 09-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steelsewing View Post
Does the pulley on the shaft of the motor have a set screw? Can you loosen it, remove the pulley, flip it around the other direction and tighten it with the belt grove a whole lot closer to the end of the shaft and thus reduce the angle enough for it to run?
Pardon my ignorance, please. I don't understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that I can undo that set screw, remove the shaft of the motor, turn it around and somehow make it long enough to be in the right place?

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601597[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0155.jpg  
Old 09-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Not quite, undo the set screw, pull the pulley on the shaft 1/4" left on the shaft. Tighten the set screw. You may want to oil the shaft just a bit if the pulley doesn't want to move. Turning the pulley around is an option.

Pretty color.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM

If the grub screw just tightens onto the motor axle it can be adjusted, if it goes into a hole in the axle it has a fixed position. You could try and bend the motor axle a bit or just live with it?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The motor pulley needs to be moved over so it's even with the end of the shaft, it's on the right way.

Cari
Thanks, Cari. That worked, I think. It's ok for it to be out there on the end?

Now, I just need to clean it up and find it a new home.

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]601600[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]601601[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0157.jpg   dsc_0156.jpg