Simple Questions

Old 09-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Default Simple Questions

I want to buy a walking foot and a foot for FMQ. I am going to use them on my 202-1s and my soon to be acquired 15-91. Aren't they both low shank? How about my 328? Wouldn't a 99 clone be low shank as well?

Are there better walking feet than others for those machines (Penguin is out of my price range)?

I read an article online the other day that said the 15-91 was really nice for FMQ. I didn't know you could drop the feed dogs on that machine. Of course, I haven't used one in 40 years, so my memory may be foggy.

bkay
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM

Had to look it up. Feed dogs may be disengaged by undoing a thumbscrew on the top shaft, under the base when it is tipped up. kinda close to the bobbin end. I may send a picture when I am more coherent
Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Yes they are low shank, but the 328 is a zigzag machine where the others are straight stitch so will use a different walking foot than the others. I use this walking foot on my straight stitch machines. Works fine and inexpensive.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...tch-P60400.htm
As far as a FM foot, this site sells several different types, it's personal preference or what the machine likes. I use a few different types. I even have one machine, a 15 clone, that I free motion with the straight stitch foot.

Cari
Old 09-16-2016, 04:43 AM

Thanks, Leonf. I knew it had to be so. The blog was so effusive about the 15-91 and it ability to FMQ, that I knew it had to be true. I just couldn't remember any extra levers or anything that would do it. I should have realized it would be underneath like the 201-2.

Thanks, Cari. I appreciate the link.

bkay
Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 AM

I use my 15-91 for FMQing and it does a beautiful job! I think you will be pleased. I FMQ with feed dogs down, but I found that it works just as well for me if I leave the feed dogs engaged and set the stitch length to 0. Either way, it does a great job. I purchased my low shank walking foot and a couple of different darning feet from Sew Classic that Cari mentioned above.
Just a word to the wise - if you haven't used the thumb screw to move the feed dogs in a while, you may find that it is stuck. Mine was, but I just put some sewing machine oil on it and had to let it soak for a couple of days before it loosened up.
Let us know how you like it!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:53 PM

I finally asked for and am getting my late mother's 15-91. I can promise you that it's never had the feed dogs down. It's a very lightly used machine. I really need to rearrange some more stuff before I have a place to put it (other than the garage). I'm really looking forward to it. It will be like an old friend. It's the machine I learned to sew on. I made most all my clothes in high school on that machine (as well as all my doll clothes when I was 8).

Thanks, Linda

bkay