Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 101 case or cabinet pics >

Singer 101 case or cabinet pics

Singer 101 case or cabinet pics

Old 07-26-2014, 08:22 AM

Rodney,

Thanks in advance.

Miriam,

Take your time, I've got lots ... ... of projects in queue ahead of the 101.

Joe
Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 AM

I have one in a cabinet that was given to me several years ago that belonged to his mother. The cabinet is missing the lid and I have not dated it yet. It is in working condition and has several attachments with. It. Have it covered until I can find a top fo it. This cabinet top is a one piece as far as I can tell.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:15 PM

Smile daughters machine

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
My daughter's machine is the variation without the box. Her cabinet is slightly different too. I still owe you some pictures.

For those who own them: Do the machines turn slowly compared to other machines? My daughter's seems to run at about 1/2 speed and I'm wondering if it was designed that way or if I should be looking for the problem.
Rodney
Rodney; my 1931 101 - 4 runs pretty fast my cabinet has the double leaf top , the control device for the foot didn't work so dh put a foot control on it and it is fine . the other problem the stitch nob on the bed is so tight it will hardly turn.. do you know if they come off to loosen them up I have tried singer oil it didnt work . DottieBug
Old 07-27-2014, 06:46 AM

I love that pull chain for the light! I don't think I've seen that feature before....but my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug View Post
Rodney; my 1931 101 - 4 runs pretty fast my cabinet has the double leaf top , the control device for the foot didn't work so dh put a foot control on it and it is fine . the other problem the stitch nob on the bed is so tight it will hardly turn.. do you know if they come off to loosen them up I have tried singer oil it didnt work . DottieBug
It sounds like I have more work to do if yours runs fast. I remember the top of the machine's bed comes off. There's an oil cup with wicks that go to various parts of the machine underneath. I don't remember if I had the stitch selector knob off it or if it stayed on the bed though. I think it came off. If it does that might give you the access you need to oil it and get it freed up.

These machines are interesting due to being Singer's first electric only design and the fact that they're a full rotary design as well. My personal opinion is this was an expensive machine to make so Singer didn't make it very long when there were other designs that they could get the same money for and were cheaper to produce.
Rodney
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Thank you ;Rodney ; I will have to take it apart again , I love sewing on mine it seems to run really good and it does free motion pretty well also I like it better than the featherweight for piecing and quilting like it bcause it has a flat bed DottieBug
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM

It's not a big priority at the moment but I will get around to checking the motor and controller out and see if I can get it to run as fast as it should. The machine makes a very pretty stitch and deserves to be used more often.
Rodney