Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 128-13 Godzilla Bentwood Case Tray Door question >
  • Singer 128-13 Godzilla Bentwood Case Tray Door question

• Singer 128-13 Godzilla Bentwood Case Tray Door question

Old 01-11-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Singer 128-13 Godzilla Bentwood Case Tray Door question

Hi all. I am now the proud owner of a very, very heavy tabletop electric machine that dates to 1950 according to its serial number (Serial number AJ 398768). The wheel turns as smooth as butter and it came with tons of attachments (none for embroidery as far as I can tell), machine needles, original 128-13 manual, shuttle bobbins, and a beautiful case. The only thing that seems to be missing is the bentwood case key and the tray door. I've attached a picture of my new baby fresh from the auction. I haven't plugged it in yet. I want to oil it up well before I try to power it up and test the stitching.

Does anyone in here have the 128-13 that can post a picture of with the tray door? Can you post a picture for me? The ones I have seen for sale are missing what looks like a lock feature on the other 128 models that I have seen online.

Happy New Year vintage machine lovers!
    Attached Thumbnails singer-128-13.jpg   singer-128-13-top-view.jpg  
    Old 01-11-2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94
    ... original 128-13 manual... The only thing that seems to be missing is the bentwood case key and the tray door. ...
    Does anyone in here have the 128-13 that can post a picture of with the tray door? Can you post a picture for me? The ones I have seen for sale are missing what looks like a lock feature on the other 128 models that I have seen online. ...
    I'm thinking that if it is a 128-13 that the manual will show a larger spoked hand wheel. I have a 1950 128-23 that came with a 128-23 manual that shows a solid and smaller hand wheel. If you click on the links at ISMACS https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...s-100-199.html for the 128-13 and 128-23 you will see that they have different hand wheels. I also found a worthpoint page that says it is a 128-13, but shows a 128-23 manual https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ide-1880950628

My 128-23 did not come with a tray cover, but does have the slots so one would fit. The Worthpoint shows the tray cover, but the turn key is kind of hard to see. There is another picture that shows it a little better at http://www.possumjimandelizabeth.com...g_sing128.html (Not the first picture as that cover is for a machine with a knee bar.)

I'm guessing that you know about the screwdriver trick for unlocking the bentwood case. Here is about someone that had gotten a machine that someone previously didn't know about. https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...nd-how-not-to/ I have made some keys that fit the bentwood cases. Actually, the one with the blue top was actually made by a locksmith from an original I had. My bentwood keys -

Some others that Joe made can be found at Need to buy a key for an older 99

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-11-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    Old 01-12-2022, 07:04 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a tray door lock., Interesting. Here are 5 of my different shaped Singer keys.
    Attached Thumbnails vsm-singer-keys-clear.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2022, 11:07 AM

The motor is a BZ8-9 and has a solid wheel so I think my little sweetie came with a manual it should not have come with. The images in the manual are much fancier than the machine I have, too. The case is damaged where someone decided to force the lock open. Shame they didn't know about the screwdriver tip. Now I kow why it is damaged like that thanks to the link you provided. Thank you so much, OurWorkbench and LeonF!

Last edited by ibex94; 01-12-2022 at 11:12 AM.