Singer 128-23

Old 07-19-2021, 07:11 PM

Default Singer 128-23

I purchased this at an estate sale. Didn't realize it was a vibrating shuttle until I got it home so it may just be decorative.
What I am wondering is if there is a specific "key" for this machine or are they interchangeable? Also where would I find 1?
I'd like to b able to lock the cover on, possibly making it easier to move.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
I purchased this at an estate sale. Didn't realize it was a vibrating shuttle until I got it home so it may just be decorative.
What I am wondering is if there is a specific "key" for this machine or are they interchangeable? Also where would I find 1?
I'd like to b able to lock the cover on, possibly making it easier to move.
Actually, the vibrating shuttle machines aren't all that bad and make a very nice straight stitch.

Here is a picture of the key #28233 https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...page=55#manual
I think with the new laser cutters there are new ones being made and sold on ebay as vintage or antique keys. In the meantime I would suggest looking at https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...nd-how-not-to/ I made one from a fork, the one with purple plastic was actually made by locksmith, the other was a key blank that my brother cut.

Also, it has been advised that one should not try to lift or carry these bentwood cases by the handle. They have a tendency to have the bottom fall out - literally and physically which can be damaging to the person and machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 07-20-2021, 06:06 AM

Singer made VS machines into the 60s.Fining a shuttle is not impossible. I like using mine.

Singer used at least 6 different keys.

Attached Thumbnails vsm-singer-keys.jpg  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:07 AM

Thank you. I wouldn't dare lift it just by the handle. It seems as heavy as my Bernina 710. I would just like the cover not sliding around. Maybe have my repair person check it out & show me how it works.
Old 07-25-2021, 05:57 AM

I use a hand-cranked 1910 Singer 128 as my "go to" machine for granddaughter (I have 6 dgd's under 8 y.o.) sewing demonstrations/projects at their houses. The dgd's are fascinated by the h-c and the machine sews a pretty ss. I carry my 128 in a webbing carry strap I bought from an Etsy shop.

John Thomas in NC