Singer 128 red felt wick?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Default Singer 128 red felt wick?

I am working on a 128 with the vibrating shuttle and it has an empty little hole under the front slide plate. I found info on-line that claims it's for an oil felt wick and should have a tiny hole in the bottom for it to drain. I can't see or feel a hole at all. I stuck a q-tip in there with liquid wrench and nothing ever drained and I still can't find a hole. Should I still make a felt wick and add some oil?

Christy
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I cut a spool felt then fold it up and stuff it in the hole - it works for a Singer 99 or 66 bobbin wick, too. Then add oil.
I've not seen the hole either - I just did it anyway. The second picture makes my eyes hurt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473904[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473905[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails felt-001.jpg   felt-002.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM

You really should find the hole and clean it out. They get hidden with a layer of dried oil and dirt. Without the hole being opened back up, the oil on the wick won't get to the shuttle. Bend the tip on the end of a small paperclip with a pair of pliers, and use it as a probe down inside the hole where the felt goes. Probe gently and sometimes you can feel the hole from the inside, and push the dirt out from the inside with the paperclip.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM

CD, is the hole that big? I tried with a sewing pin but wasn't finding anything. I thought soaking with the liquid wrench would melt any old gunk but I still wan't finding it. I'll give it another try...I need new batteries inmy flashlight so I can see in there better!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Good idea for the felt. Silly me I went to Goodwill and bought a 100% wool red sweater that someone already ruined in the wash. I have enough wool felt to last forever!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM

The hole is big enough for a small paperclip to feel it and go into it. The action of the shuttle sliding across the outside of the hole "glazes over" the hole to make it nearly disappear on the outside. Use your pin or needle inside of the hole (felt removed) if you want to, but a hook in a small wire (paperclip) may find the hole quicker. A bent pin might work too, but I usually use a small paperclip that I have on a shelf near my bench. You're just wanting to "feel" the indentation with a tool to zero in on it's location. Then, you can attack it from the outside to open it back up on the crusty ones.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
...but a hook in a small wire (paperclip) may find the hole quicker.

CD in Oklahoma
I found it! Duh, it's on the side. I was determined to find it on the bottom! Thank you! Something learned and something accomplished today. It's a good thing.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
CD, is the hole that big? I tried with a sewing pin but wasn't finding anything. I thought soaking with the liquid wrench would melt any old gunk but I still wan't finding it. I'll give it another try...I need new batteries inmy flashlight so I can see in there better!
it is behind the spring and goes all the way thru to the spring steel strip