Singer 15-91

Old 11-29-2020, 12:06 PM

It is one fine machine for sure! But anyone buying a used one should be aware that the wiring usually needs to be replaced and it can be costly to have it done professionally. You can DIY - and I've done it - but it's quite an involved process if you don't already have that skill set, which I did NOT.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaReMe View Post
It is one fine machine for sure! But anyone buying a used one should be aware that the wiring usually needs to be replaced and it can be costly to have it done professionally. You can DIY - and I've done it - but it's quite an involved process if you don't already have that skill set, which I did NOT.
I just bought a 15-91 made in 1951, has only had 1 owner. It runs, but yes, it doesn't need wiring and I have it scheduled to be rewired in Jan. It's worth it considering what I paid for it in mint condition with a perfect cabinet.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:58 PM

I agree these machines are "worth" it since you usually pick them up for next to nothing to begin with - I've gotten them for as little as $20 - and the $75 you spend on the wiring gives you a very fine machine for around $100. You can't beat that with ANY new machine at that price.

But anyone considering a potted motor machine like a 15-91 or 201 should just be aware that the wiring usually needs some attention and it is possible to DIY if you have some basic skills in soldering and crimping wires. I've done it a couple of times, and honestly don't ever want to do it again, but at least I know it CAN be done!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaReMe View Post
I agree these machines are "worth" it since you usually pick them up for next to nothing to begin with - I've gotten them for as little as $20 - and the $75 you spend on the wiring gives you a very fine machine for around $100. You can't beat that with ANY new machine at that price.

But anyone considering a potted motor machine like a 15-91 or 201 should just be aware that the wiring usually needs some attention and it is possible to DIY if you have some basic skills in soldering and crimping wires. I've done it a couple of times, and honestly don't ever want to do it again, but at least I know it CAN be done!
Any old machine should have the wiring/insulation checked/tested in my opinion. I rewire all old machines that come my way, whether they are keepers or to be sold on for use. Also had to replace a couple of light fittings at the same time

My 1960 Singer 401A is the only machine i haven't personally rewired but only because it came with a service record (and name of local repair shop)of the machine and was carried out about a couple of years before i purchased it. Also had to replace a couple of light fittings at the same time